New Tode in the House

Alonzo · 3121

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:22 PM
Latest addition from the BHead product line.  Just finished the Tode, resistance were spot on and voltages are around spec.  Tried my Gretsch but got no sound.  Just hum/noise when I touched the pots or balance knobs.  Think I have a bad guitar cord, will pick one up tomorrow and give this amp a workout.
Build was pretty easy, the instructions take you by the hand and make sure you don't f'up.  I didn't care for the coax cable though.  I really didn't realize how small this amp is, it's tiny!

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:10 AM
As with all of our parts the coax was chosen for a reason. In this case the input impedance is so high (10MEG) that noise rejection is a primary consideration with respect to the input wiring. And so we used a coaxial cable with very high rejection.

Are you saying that you are getting hum when you touch the pots on the guitar, or the pots on the amp? There shouldn't be any noise when touching the knobs on the amp except that the brake knob will sometimes make a faint crunchy sound if you turn it fast. If you are getting hum from the knobs on the guitar but no sound it might be a bad pickup switch.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:36:34 AM
Thanks for the explanation,  I know it's there for a real reason, I've just never liked working with that fine mesh braid, those fine wires can get everywhere. 
The hum I get is from touching the pots on the guitar.  I'll have to get it checked/cleaned this week.   

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:55:27 AM
Wow that really does look small!  I'd be curious how loud it can get and if it can rock  8)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:32 AM
It gets loud enough for performance in a small venue, and it can also be used as a head for a larger speaker. We have measured a 4X12 cab of Celestions G12T-75s  driven by a Tode at 113dB @ 1M.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.