Scratch Build (First for me)

porcupunctis · 7654

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 07:42:50 PM
Spent way too much time listening to the new changes.  Good thing I'm on spring break tomorrow.

Listened to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte", Two albums that I'm way too familiar with and they sounds quite awesome. 

I'm pretty sure I can reduce the hum issue.  It seems to be mostly input related and while the input lines are shielded, I have not grounded the shields yet. 

Also, haven't optimized the input stage.  Next step is to measure the voltage on the plate of the 6SL7 and plot a load line.  Next big learning challenge.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:07 PM
I can't quite remember, but did you ground the 6.3V heater winding? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:17 PM
PB - Finished the tape path mod to my 1500 and have been busy listening.  Recorded Pink Floyd's "Endless River" from vinyl so I could listen from end to end.  Absolutely mesmerizing. 

Anyway, I'll be getting the 6L6 back on the bench tomorrow and plan on grounding the heaters and playing with the plate voltage on the 6SL7. 

BTW - I'm currently listening to my Stereomour configured with 45's.  Just how much different are your SR-45's?  I like the build work.  Nice job.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie