Any experience with Ascend Acoustics speakers?

rbc3 · 3810

Offline rbc3

on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:19 PM
I'm seriously considering a pair of Sierra-2 bookshelfs.  For the price, they're competitive with most of the DIY kits out there and you don't have to build them.  They're getting a lot of good press on the price/performance value of these.  I'm considering with a Stereomour.  They seem fairly efficient at 87db @ 2.83v sensitivity rating.  The Sierra towers have a 92db @ 2.83v sensitivity rating.  Would love to see what others have to say about them and pairing with Bottlehead amps.

Robert C

Paramount 1.1 300B, Tekton Design Seas Pendragon, Stereomour 2A3, Omega Hemptone 8, Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk3, JMW 9T, Dynavector XX2mkII, Clearaudio Balance, Quickie 1.1, Schiit Bifrost Uber, Mainline, Audeze LCD2.2, AKG K1000, HiFiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD650, AK120

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:20:50 PM
Hmmm... Sorry I have no experience with this speaker. However I'm very interested in what you find. I absolutely adore the sound from my Orca full rangers but there are times when I feel like I'm missing something up on top.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:29:40 PM
Well, you don't have a Fix in your gear list. ;) I was missing the top end in my HT setup. Just clicked the Fix treble compensation another notch and it was great.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:06 PM
92dB at 2.38V and 4 Ohms impedance is 89dB at 1W. 

This reduction isn't as drastic with the 6 Ohm monitor, but still a consideration.

There are folks using 88dB speakers on the Stereomour with happiness, but it won't get particularly loud.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:38:52 PM
The fix works great, but you should also know that we voiced the Orca Mini's a little differently than the Classic or Deluxe speakers you guys have.  The Mini's are neutral and more detail oriented up top, whereas the Orca classic/deluxe is has a deliberately more subdued top end.  Also, the Mini's seem to let themselves get driven a little harder by amps like the paramount 9wpc.  But they also need a little bit bigger sub to keep up with the brighter and more macro focused presentation.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:33:35 AM by Clark B. »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:20 AM
Well, you don't have a Fix in your gear list. ;) I was missing the top end in my HT setup. Just clicked the Fix treble compensation another notch and it was great.

That's good to know. I have a Fix sitting in a box waiting to be built. I'd better get to work.

Offline rbc3

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:28:12 AM
After some more reading, I'm leaning towards some more efficient options like Tekton: Pendragon (95db 1W), Enzo (96.5db 1W), or Lore (98db 1W).  Tekton specs all state 8 Ohm average impedance.  Also the Chane A5rx-c get good reviews which are 90db 1W stated as a true 6 Ohm speaker.

In searching the BH forums, it looks like some BH owners have Tekton Lore and like them with BH amps.

-Robert

Robert C

Paramount 1.1 300B, Tekton Design Seas Pendragon, Stereomour 2A3, Omega Hemptone 8, Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk3, JMW 9T, Dynavector XX2mkII, Clearaudio Balance, Quickie 1.1, Schiit Bifrost Uber, Mainline, Audeze LCD2.2, AKG K1000, HiFiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD650, AK120