Audio Nirvana build

Guest · 9092

4krow

Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 06:21:35 AM
Here is a preview of my intentions for the cabinets.

4krow

Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 12:02:19 PM
 Ok, this what I got done today. The port inserts are now epoxied in place. A little clean up is in order tomorrow. No, the foam is not in way of the port, it just looks that way in the photo.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 08:58:20 AM
Hi Greg,

I guess like everyone else, it would be neat to hear how they sound.  The thing that seems really interesting on this one is the port, that is kind of unusual for a single-driver speaker, no? 

Dave

4krow

Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 09:11:54 AM
 Since they are still breaking in, I have yet to form a more concrete opinion of their sound. I will say that as they continue to break in, the sound has transformed dramatically. When first installed, they were unlistenable. Then after a very short time, they were. After that was a midrange shout that I just hate. Now that is starting to disappear. Even though there is a rising top end, I benefit because of my not so rising top end hearing. Go figure.     In time, I expect them to be a good choice for my customer. The bass is too much for me right now, but it can be managed better with the addition of type and amount of damping. I am even making 'port stuffers' to run the speaker sealed. Wait till you see those!  heh heh
 It is actually not unusual to see a bass reflex design for this type of speaker. The designer highly recommends it  for most of his drivers.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 02:50:33 PM
Interesting.  What made you pick the audio nirvanas?  Any prior experience with them?  I like that they have huge magnets, and it looks like they have the quick disconnects too.

Dave

4krow

Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:52 PM
 Actually, this is my fourth pair that I have owned/sold. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat, and since they are full range drivers, that makes me curious as to how well they might perform. I will say that their lower models are not something that I would be so interested in, but the Alnico magnet drivers are quite good. Even though the magnet structure looks impressive, it is the other design characteristics that I like. David Dicks, who is the owner doesn't fool around with the latest fad in audio, whatever that may be. He is competent designer who has set out his goals and has achieved them. That's enough for me. Maybe the same reason that I like the products here as well. You get a basic kit that covers what it needs to, and if you so choose, upgrading/experimenting is up to you. Of course there are the worthwhile upgrades offered by BH.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 03:51:12 AM
Audio nirvana sounds like the Grado of speakers.  Sounds like we both think the same thing with going for a higher quality product than looks or small size.  My system sounds good now, but the idea of a SET amp like the stereomour seems really nice, but would require getting new speakers (the current ones are 92db sensitivity).  Blumensteins look nice, but I look the bigger speakers better, since they are easier to blend with a sub, and sound better.  Which speakers of theirs have you tried? 

Dave

4krow

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 07:33:32 AM
 I have tried 4 different models, all except one are 8" drivers. In the 8" models I have used the 8" 'Super' which is around $150 a pair. They sounded surprisingly good, money not being a factor here. I made a set for my boss from parts and pieces that I had around the shop. He is a real cheapskate, so my budget was a total of $200. Had it not been for the free stuff, I wouldn't have made it. A couple of years ago, I damaged my very expensive 8" drivers from Decware (FRX drivers are $600 ea.), and had to have something to replace them with in the meantime. I chose the 8" Alnico model for $500 a pr. and was again, quite impressed with the performance. I used a 'GIZMO' from Decware in conjunction with the drivers to tame the sound until the drivers broke in. They were harsh to my ears. The Gizmo is a transformer device developed just for drivers with a midrange shout. Works really good, but adjusting it takes some time. Recently, I bought a set of co-axial 8" drivers from AN for my garage system which I will start on when this project is done. The cool thing about them is that you can adjust the treble output by interchanging a capacitor, but less than what the manufacturer indicates(you don't want too much overlap or gap).  Lastly, are the 12" drivers that I am working with here. As mentioned before, I was more curious than anything to hear such a large sized driver. I am anxious to finish the project, but my back doesn't like these mammoths very much, so it is slowing me down. It's just really hard to give an accurate account of any of these drivers since in each case, since I only heard them for a short time. I will say however that set  made for my former boss were just wonderful. 

Offline aragorn723

Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 02:39:51 PM
By the way, how do you make the nice round holes/recesses?  With a router?

Dave

4krow

Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:40 PM
Yes, basically with a router, but these drivers are not round. It makes routing a bit trickier, so first you have to scribe lines, and then make edge guide to cut them straight. The rest is done with a circle guide. Slow and smooth, that's how you go.
  BTW, David the designer of these drivers has recommended a different driver for my listening room. It is a 10" Alnico type, and I am interested in trying it.

4krow

Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 08:33:59 AM
  Guys, I am pretty good at shipping, but have not ever had to ship something of this size and weight. I will be making crates of some sort. Any idea about do's and don'ts?

Offline aragorn723

Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 02:40:30 PM
Crates sound good.  As long as the speakers aren't able to move inside (put enough packing material to close any voids), and have some kind of protection for the finish on the outside, there shouldn't be any issue.  Maybe someone else can answer about the speaker itself, any issues with the voice coil bouncing around or something like that?

Dave

4krow

Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 03:14:57 PM
One thing that crossed my mind was to install handles on the sides of each crate. This encourages workers to keep the product upright.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 12:44:56 AM
I would start with a cardboard box that is a little too big.  Cut it down to fit snugly.  Then use Styrofoam all around that box to make it wedged into the crate.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 04:17:45 PM
I spent 18 years with an LTL trucking company.  Crates are good but add a lot of weight.  Double boxing is a great way to go.  Just imagine you are sending an egg to China.  Same deal.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie