Audio Nirvana build

Guest · 9133

4krow

on: April 11, 2015, 02:23:53 PM
Hey guys,

I have started a project with a pair of Audio Nirvana 12" full range drivers. They haven't been released by David Dicks, owner of AN, and are a prototype driver. Given this, I won't say too much about them, but here is a couple of photos of the build. I have chosen a 4 cu. ft. cabinet design, slanted part of the front baffle, and will use a slot instead of a port hole. If the slot isn't satisfactory, then I will try a port hole w/o tube, as recommended by the designer. I will post more later, but this will give you an idea of the project.

4krow

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:30:40 PM
 Found one more photo.

Offline chard

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:14:32 PM
Nice work. When did David Dicks say the speakers would be ready? Since He already has alnico, ferrite, and neo magnet speakers would His new speaker be a field coil?

Clifford Hard

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 05:17:22 PM
Hey 4krow!  Those are looking really nice.  Looking forward to more updates.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

4krow

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:35:20 PM
Thanks guys! It's been awhile since I posted here. Figured that you might get a kick out of these. Chard, It would be really cool if these were field coil. but no, they are just a larger version of the Classic series. I can say that since they will be out pretty soon. I would have liked the alnico or even neo models, but the price was out of range for me. I figured that I could get a taste of what these were all about by at least going mid line. More to come.

4krow

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:24:44 AM
  Gettin' there. The rest of the needed damping will be put in place after the bottom baffle is glued on.

4krow

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:59:58 PM
 I got this far today for just one speaker, but this is the general idea.

4krow

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:04:55 PM
Yah, I just had to install the driver and take it for a listen. More about that tomm.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:38 AM
Greg,

It looks nice!  Where did you get the facing you used?  What is that in front of the speaker when you are testing?

4krow

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:26 AM
 G,
         At the moment, it looks better than it sounds. To me, break in is a big part for these drivers. As for the material used, I tried to recycle as much as I could find. In this case, I had sizable wood scraps from years ago. The front baffle is made from former workbenches to former kitchen counter tops. All solid wood, but two different thicknesses. More work than you think went into gluing pieces together. There is very little scrap left behind.
 Now to the performance of the driver so far. To start the break in, I am using a cheap class D amp, and an old yamaha music server. I expected this to be a good combination, yet there seems to be a sizable amount of distortion. Really, I can't tell if this has something to do with the driver or the source combination. The driver sounded so sharp and forward that I am using a device from Decware Audio. It is meant to help tame some of the issues that I described above. It is a particularly sensitive device that is adjustable. The idea is that the secondary winding of this transformer can have a load applied to it causing a reaction of taking a bit of the 'zing' from the driver it is applied to. Don't ask me more, because I will just get it all wrong. It is better to go to the Decware site, look in the master catalog, and read the description there.
 In short, I was a little scared that I had made a big mistake when I first heard the driver. After 15 minutes of listening, I applied the 'Gizmo' from Decware. This helped the midrange as designed, but there was no bass and the distortion remained. Without too much of my opinion here, I simply will say that bad sound is leaving like a disease, and I plan to find a better amp to drive the speaker. Also, the speaker sounds poorly in my shop for obvious reasons concerning bass. Now the bass has come in, but has some peaks that tell me that it is time to tune the cabinet with polyfill. More later.    Greg

4krow

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:01 AM
Just for the record, I am using a Deflex panel on the rear of the speaker. With such large magnets, I figured it wouldn't hurt. I used "Emergency Plumbers Tape" to hold it on.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:35 PM
The deflex pad is supposed to go on the back wall of the enclosure, not the magnet.  I don't think Audio Nirvana uses vented pole pieces, but if they do, I would recommend removing the obstruction on the back of the driver before applying signal.

-PB

(Edit: looks like the neo models will need that space open with certainty)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up, and yes the AN driver does have vented pole piece. I cut a hole out just for that purpose. I may have got this confused with a product that was similar and was intended to mount directly on the magnet.  It does make me wonder why the Deflex round panels come in different sizes as according to the magnet size. I ordered these from Michael Percy

4krow

Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 05:21:40 PM
Just now, I double checked the Percy catalog, and this product is specifically designed to be mounted on the back of the magnet. I do remember a long time ago, that I ordered Deflex circular sheets that were in fact deigned for the cabinet wall. They were MUCH larger and were the size of the driver being used. Either way, I believe in these products as being of great value for damping purposes. Apparently, this is a newer Deflex product. One thing I like is that by mounting them directly on the driver, it would seem to help control vibration at it's source.

4krow

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:16 AM
The Friday update has arrived. Now, don't get any ideas from this. I am not keeping these for my own. I just want to finish break-in in my listening room, and not the dusty shop where I will be making the second cabinet. Also, brace yourselves for another change to the cabinets.