Audio Nirvana build

Guest · 9134

4krow

Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 04:34:33 PM
Thanks guys for the valuable input. After thinking it over, I am going to sell the drivers outright, and keep the cabinets for a very near to do project. Shipping costs will scare my present customer away. These drivers are unreleased products at the moment, but David Dicks advised to sell them and get his top model with an ALNICO magnet. It will raise the price(by $600), but I am actually thinking of using them and having two sets of speakers. One set for rock, one set for the rest.

4krow

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 10:43:14 AM
 I will put this topic to bed by saying that I have worked with these speakers long enough now to say that a certain recipe must be applied to get the desired results from these drivers. In short, tube amplification is to used, and on top of that, the 'Gizmo' device that connects in series with the driver as well. This device a basically a transformer that is designed to absorb a portion of the frequency spectrum that many find offensive from single driver speakers. That is sometimes called 'shout'. This transformer has an adjustable secondary which is responsible for the amount of absorption applied. Too much however, robs the amp of a little power, and dulls the sound. Too little of course, will not have enough of the desired effect in the first place. All in all, I find these drivers best suited for music that demands bass and impact. You can guess the genre.
 Having used a D amp with them added insult to injury, and will be avoided in the future.