Switch input and output?

kekoukela · 9198

Offline kekoukela

on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:15 PM
Hi everyone!

I am very interested in buying the submissive but I have a question about input and outputs on this product.

I would like for the submissive to have multiple outputs and one input. So I could have my DAC go into the submissive, then to a speaker system (not audiophile grade, just logitech speakers) or to my Bottlehead Crack (for my HD700's).

I guess my question is: Is it possible to switch the wiring to make the output into inputs and vice versa? Can I do this just by rewiring Stock parts or do I need to get more parts?

I am a complete noob and the Crack was my first DIY project and needless to say I'm hooked. :D (Bought another crack and plan on making more custom job :D)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:16:32 PM
The submissive is by its passive nature a device with a relatively high output resistance (impedance). Thus it is not the best suited to plug multiple parallel loads into, which present a relatively low load. An active device with a lower output impedance would be better suited to the job. Or a switch could be installed that connects only one load at a time to the Submissive.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kekoukela

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:04:54 PM
Ok. Then I guess an a/b switch box connected to the submissive would work better?

Offline kekoukela

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:35 PM
Hi Doc B.

So I was looking online and would something like this picture work? Assuming I get a 3DPDT On/On switch and the input is the submissive and output 1 is the crack, output 2 is speakers, would this connection be correct?

My two worries is if I can connect both the Left and Right audio's ground together and run it like that OR Should I try to find a 4DPDT and run each ground to it's respective channels?
My other worry is do I need to add resistors if I were to make something like that? I feel like I wouldnt need to because I am just trying to make a straight connection between the input/output . . . but I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:08 AM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:17 AM
Your welcome.

If you decide to add a switch and additional output you need to have a 4-Pole switch so the ground for each channel is switched separately - this completely separates the outputs and matches the input design. I used a 4P-3T-1D(Deck) switch.
You only need to have as many positions as outputs so a 2-throw (position) switch for two, a 3-throw for three, etc.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline kekoukela

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:09:40 AM
Thank you so much Adrian and Doc! Its been very informative. :D

Offline Adrian

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:56:58 PM
Refer to this post for wiring with single input and three outputs.
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7864.msg75588#msg75588

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:39:02 PM
Test post (having trouble with sending posts)

well the post worked but I have been having trouble posting with a hyperlink to another BH Forum!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:41:10 PM by Adrian »

Adrian C.

Offline Adrian

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:58:36 PM
hyperlinks don't seem to be working for me....
(I originally posted this in the Mainline Forum and thought it might be better in this forum.)

I completed my latest modification to my Submissive.
I installed switches that would allow me to completely bypass the attenuator.

I wanted a way to use the three input/output configuration and still send the source signal (cd, EROS, etc.) to a pre amp/amp that has its own volume control.
This modification completely bypasses the Submissive attenuator when I don't need it, but puts it in the circuit when I do.

Adrian C.

Offline Adrian

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:27 AM
So, I made something that will gang together the two switches that enable me to bypass the attenuator.

Two 14mm wooden beads glued together fit perfectly and made the task simple and elegant.

Adrian C.