thinking about buying a turntable

aragorn723 · 19984

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:40 AM
I wouldn't think that the folks at uturn would bundle a cartridge that hummed with their deck.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 10:17:44 AM
yeah, why make yourself look bad  :o

Offline Thoburn

Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:03 PM
Hi,

I have been thinking about branching out into vinyl for a while (just got a few records a week ago-Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence, and The Very Best of Cream).  They look almost new (and not warped).  I don't have a turntable now, but was wondering what to look for in one besides maybe belt-drive.  Someone suggested looking at uturnaudio in another thread..  What makes a turntable good?

Dave

Hi Dave,
I to got the urge to get back into vinyl. I still had a dozen or so records I bought in th 1970's. About two years ago I bought a VPI table and have been buying records ever since. I'd guess I have about 150 now. Some I bought at Good Will. Some from used record shops and quite a few from Acoustic Sounds. Their Quality Record Pressings offerings are amazing. Not a single pop or click and the sound is first rate. I haven't bought a CD in two years now. I wish you good luck and I think you will be happy you jumped on board!  ;D
Toby

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 02:29:13 PM
Used to be that TT S/N specs were not standardized.  They may not be now either.

Offline patm

Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 02:40:16 PM
Hi,
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I just went through what you are contemplating. Adding a stock Reduction and a turntable to my system has made more difference than ANYTHING else I have done. More than mikes iron, more than the Elrog 300b tubes (although I must say they sound amazing), more than the EML 300b mesh. By a huge margin.

Sounds like you are doing your research and receiving sound advice. I know you are going to enjoy your journey.

Pat McSween

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Grainger49

Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 11:26:07 PM
So how come I've heard it Grainger? Yes, I use a vintage idler drive turntable with a powerful AC motor (which is not bad), but no other cartridge including SPU, London Decca, Audio Technica, Nagaoka, Grace, Stanton, etc have the same issue?

So we have the Grado works on VIP, Thorens belt and Dual but not on old vintage idler drive with powerful AC motors.  I can only speak to my experience.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:52 AM
Hi,
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I just went through what you are contemplating. Adding a stock Reduction and a turntable to my system has made more difference than ANYTHING else I have done. More than mikes iron, more than the Elrog 300b tubes (although I must say they sound amazing), more than the EML 300b mesh. By a huge margin.

Sounds like you are doing your research and receiving sound advice. I know you are going to enjoy your journey.

Pat McSween

Hi Pat,

That's impressive the submissive can keep up with that system, it looks pretty upscale.  Have you felt the need to upgrade it with the integration upgrade?  What phono stage did you use before?  Just realized the system i'm thinking of doing would be around $900, so i'm looking for ways to ease into it (maybe start with the basic uturn + grado, then add the platter, cue, reduction and integration later).

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 01:57:17 PM
one minor catch-just realized the Onkyo doesn't have a phono input (so that means disconnecting it from the stereo and hooking up the 1970's Sony receiver or buying a phono stage straight out).  Luckily it can play mm and mc cartridges, so maybe this will be a good start (with a set of headphones).

Dave
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:01:13 PM by aragorn723 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 02:17:42 PM
You can go into the Sony phono input and out the recording out (with the selector switch on Phono).

Offline aragorn723

Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:09 PM
Grainger,

hmm so does that mean it's possible to use the phono preamp in the Sony and then pass the signal to the Quickie?  Cool!  There's a monitor button on the front (tape 1 and tape 2).  Is it as simple as hitting the phono button and then hitting the tape 1 monitor button (and using the record out jacks for that?)  The model is TA-1055.  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Thoburn

Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:48 PM
Hi Pat,

That's impressive the submissive can keep up with that system, it looks pretty upscale.  Have you felt the need to upgrade it with the integration upgrade?  What phono stage did you use before?  Just realized the system i'm thinking of doing would be around $900, so i'm looking for ways to ease into it (maybe start with the basic uturn + grado, then add the platter, cue, reduction and integration later).

Dave

FWIW, I bought the best turntable I could afford and started with a cheap cartridge. About a year later I bought a nice low output moving coil cartridge. In the end, an expenive cartridge on a cheap table is not likely to perform at its best. Just IMHO.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 12:21:02 AM
Dave,

I was selling audio gear in the '70s.  All tape loops from that day work the same way.

Whatever the selector switch on the Sony is set to will "appear" at the recording output jacks.  You don't even need to engage the monitor switch.  The monitor allows you to compare the source with the tape playback on three head decks.

It is kind of a big phono stage, could be put just about anywhere near the turntable and left on.  The output of the "tape out" jacks could run 12 feet or more to your Quickie.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 02:06:58 AM
sweet!  That will save me a few bucks while this system comes together.  Thanks  8)

Offline patm

Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 02:23:03 AM
Dave,

This is my first analog source. That's what I was saying. I had been listening to a Rega CD player. I am compleatly blown away by the difference adding an analog source has made.

I am familer with the impact that a power supply upgrade from BH can make. I did it with a Crack/speedball upgrade. It's like the stock Crack was quiet but in retrospect the Speedball added a hollowness to the quiet. I have the integration boards populated on the workbench ready to install. I know what to expect from the upgrade but I could be happy with the stock reduction.

Pat

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline denti alligator

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:38 AM
My response to this thread:

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable