questions; who and/or where to ask.

khingila · 2629

Offline khingila

on: July 31, 2015, 02:46:43 PM
i have a pair of conrad johnson / synthesis lm250 speakers that were retired from service along with their associated solid state gear years ago in favor of an all bottlehead system. i was cleaning out the shop recently and put them on a junk pile, then began to wonder whether they could be brought back to life. one had no high end, and one no low, so i started by replacing the crossover caps; that restored one of them, but the other seems to have a dead bass driver, which (i think) i confirmed by connecting it directly to an amp output. the driver is a focal 8p-501, and i gather that the focal company that produced these is either no longer around or else not doing this kind of thing anymore. looking for a used 8p-501 turned up a couple of rather old hits, suggesting it's probably better not to hold my breath on that count. i've got some possibly helpful specs from an old focal catalog, but i know pretty much nothing about speaker design. where, or to whom, might i pose the question of whether some satisfactory substitute for this driver could be made? any suggestions will be much appreciated.

joe piecuch

khingila

Offline howardnair

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:52:12 AM
contact madisound.com   talk to a rep they may be able to find a driver that is compatible also try some of the speaker forums
audioasylum.com
audiokarma.org
a big help would be to get the thiele and small speaker parameters  -also Conrad Johnson may be able to give you some info

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:13:38 AM
There's just the tiniest chance that if you ask around, you might be able to find a shop that can re-cone the driver. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline khingila

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:41:25 AM
thanks, howardnair; i emailed conrad johnson about a week ago and didn't hear back, not too surprisingly as i believe they shed the synthesis line and got out of the speaker business a decade or two ago. i'll try those forums, and contact madisound monday. thanks, pb, that had not occurred to me, and i'll pursue that avenue as well.

khingila

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:18:57 PM
I just had a vintage EV woofer replaced by Orange County speakers. Amazing job and impressive response time and cost. Maybe contact them?

Xavier Cortes

Offline Dnorris

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:00:07 PM
I had a woofer reconed (for Von Schweikert VR-2 speakers) by Meniscus Audio Group, meniscusaudio.com. They did a great job, fast and reasonable. I was very happy with their service. They may be able to match up your speaker.

Dale Norris