12AT7

adydula · 2565

Offline adydula

on: August 05, 2015, 08:44:47 AM
Ok please don't shoot me. I spent a few hours looking on the forum and at headfi.

I got 2 12AT7's coming tomorrow from an ebay seller that was sending me 5963's he "upgraded" my order to these "rare" Sylvania 12AT7's...which from what I read have a high gain and aren't really a good thing to run in the crack.

So I thought I found a thread the other day on the forum where some folks have installed resistors on the speedball boards to allow the plate voltages to be within tolerance so they can be used...even though this would cause the other normal tubes to be out of their optimal voltages?

So the long story short, is there a simple resistor value change to allow the 12AT& to run or not??

If there is a thread that I have missed would you please point me to it or shuld I just return the tubes?

Thanks
Alex

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:51 AM

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:45 AM
Your e-bay seller "upgraded" you to the wrong tube. I'd send them back.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:13:42 AM
The 5963 has only slightly higher gain than the 12AU7, might give it a try

John Scanlon

Offline adydula

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:06 AM
OK thanks,, I saw the FAQ, it kind of indicates it will work with no detriment except the volume control would be pretty much unuseable due to the high gain.

Think I will ask the ebay guy to replace rather that modify for one tube and mess with another!!

Thanks
Alex

Offline adydula

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:18 AM
2wo sorry u posted as I was updating...yeah I have tried the 5963's they work fine and sound great,,, its the 12AT7's that I am worried about working properly etc..

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:30 AM
5963 is fine, it is a computer grade 12AU7. 12AT7 is the wrong tube, and it is not a sub nor an upgrade for a 5963.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:45:11 AM
Thanks Doc!

I am listening to the old Sylvania 5963 and its driving the old RCA coke bottle 6AS7G...absolutely stellar sound....gosh you guys make some great stuff....the snappiness of the sound listening to some old Spyrogyra is stunning to say the least...the 12AT7's are headed back!

Alex

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:26:55 AM
If you ever find any Sylvania 5963 with "JAN US NAVY" written on them in gold lettering snap them up, to my ears they are some of the best sounding 12au7 variants.

M.McCandless

Offline adydula

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:54:31 AM
Will do I have 2 more coming and they are Sylvania but dont know if they are JAN or not..

I do volunteer work in a WWII Battleship and have crawled around it and in the electrical repair shops closed to the public I have seen many NOS tubes from the late 30's and 40's still in their cartons never yet opened ans used!!! OMG its really neat to see these, but they will never be used as they are part of a national treasure....

Alex

Offline mcandmar

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:08:28 PM
That sounds amazing, i would love to explore an old battleship like that.  I guess you could say those tubes are being used, or preserved for future generations :)

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:16:29 PM
Being in a navy town the story that always comes up is how tube gear on ships got retubed every three months and the electronics techs would use the pulled tubes for skeet practice off the fantail when they were at sea.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:58 PM
Trapped on a ship, have ammunition, yup sounds reasonable to me :)

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:38 PM
Had the chance to look around USS North Carolina many years ago pre Cher  :o the scale of the ship is damn impressive.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline adydula

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 02:03:08 AM
Yup thats my ship!

I have crawled around the ship into many compartments that are closed to the public doing research on the fire control systems, specifically how the 16: main guns were designed and worked from the actual firing circuits, switchboards, power and the mechanical - analog computers or range keepers. Its amazing how the technology at that time was used to generate a predictive future firing solution with analog mechanical computers and vacuum tubes!!

In the ship there are vertical gyroscopes used for meany thing called Stable Verticals and Stable Elements which had a free spinning gyroscope with a AC electro-magnet mounted on top of it which two coils of wire mounted in a gimbal arrangement that moved with the ships pitch and roll, as these coils moved and cut the magnetic fields of the electromagnet a voltage/current, small...was induced and was sent to follow up circuits to be used to help keep the gyro stable. Tubes like 6A6 dual triodes were used in the amps and C6A's used as grid controlled rectifiers..and many others.

There are boxes labeled with the company, like Westinghouse and many tubes have just numbers on them....I will one day take an inventory down there and help preserve them in the ships archive. Even back then each tube carton has the actual government contract number on it!!

I have been able to look at the actual blueprints and circuit diagrams and schematics from when the ship was built starting back in 1938. Its like a time capsule!

Alex

Note: The guy who said he sent me 12AT7's replied to me that he was incorrect and he sent me 5693's!!! Ha!  He made a mistake in his communications with me with a customer that actually bought 12AT7's!!