New 2A3 - Emission Labs solid plate

borism · 8463

Offline borism

on: September 21, 2015, 02:11:32 PM
I've had some bad luck with the JJ 2A3 - 40 tubes in my Stereomour. One tube went bad within 6 months. The replacement lasted 2 weeks and the 3rd lasted about one year before it started getting noisy. With the hum pot I could only get it to about 10 mV.

So, I started looking for a replacement that would offer similar sonic benefits to the JJs. I still like very much how that tube sounds. The tubes I considered included Shuguang 2A3 c-t, Psvane t2, Sophia Princess and NOS RCA dual black plates. They are all very pricey.

I finally decided on the EML solid plate. Feedback on the internet is very good and they come with an extended warranty (18 months).

They arrived today safely packed. The size is about the same as the JJs. The EMLs are beautifully built and have some heft. The hum balance adjusted to about 0.6 - 0.7 mV. This is the quietest of any 2A3 I have tried so far (though my experience is only with the Sovteks and the JJs). How does it sound? My first impression without any burn in is very favorable. They sound clean and rich at the same time.

So, hopefully I'll have more luck with the EMLs.

Boris

Offline mkane

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:13:45 PM
  Keep us informed please. I'm running JJ's. Forget when I bought them. Bit of digging, they arrived at my place 2/4. Hope they last.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:17:28 PM by mkane »

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:30:15 AM
I switched from National Union 2A3's in my Custom Bottlehead stereo amp to JJ 2A3-40's from Eurotubes in Portland OR. They had a six month warranty and have been performing beautifully for three or four years now. The bass is stronger, and the amp seems to have more headroom. I think Eurotubes tests their stock very carefully to insure reliability. Very happy with this change.

Cheers, Hank

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:41 AM
Boris,

Any reason you chose the EML solid plate over the mesh plate?

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline borism

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 01:09:18 PM
Hi,

Hank, my JJ 2A3-40 were also from Eurotubes. I just was not as lucky. The sound was great and if they had been as reliable for me I wouldn't have looked any further.

Sugar Man, it is a close call. Doing research on the net I found a number of people with strong opinions one way or the other. Somehow the solid plate advocates seemed to be more convincing. An added bonus is that the solid plate is slightly less expensive.

So my update after about 30 hrs on these tubes. They seem to possess everything that the JJ has and in addition seem more refined and natural sounding to me. 

Boris

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:30 AM
Hi,

Hank, my JJ 2A3-40 were also from Eurotubes. I just was not as lucky. The sound was great and if they had been as reliable for me I wouldn't have looked any further.

Sugar Man, it is a close call. Doing research on the net I found a number of people with strong opinions one way or the other. Somehow the solid plate advocates seemed to be more convincing. An added bonus is that the solid plate is slightly less expensive.

So my update after about 30 hrs on these tubes. They seem to possess everything that the JJ has and in addition seem more refined and natural sounding to me.

Thanks for the report Boris; I will enjoy hearing about the EML's as you break them in and they reveal themselves as time goes on. I have thought about them ever since I thought about replacing the national Unions; but the lower price of the JJ's persuaded me at the time. I still lust a bit for the EML's, so your reports will inform us her on the Forum as there are very few BH's using EML's.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:42:01 PM
I had a pair of the TJ Meshplates back in the day in my Paraglows and they sounded amazing and looked gorgeous as well with the mesh glowing....

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline borism

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:28:22 PM
If there is a downside to the EML solid plate it is the fact that nothing is visibly glowing. I only know if the amp is on by looking at the small tube.
Having said that the EMLs have started to open up nicely. The soundstage is huge and precise and the bass seems more present. I am definitely a fan!

Boris

Offline rusty-jade

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:18 AM
I too had problems with the JJ 2A3-40.  I bought a pair for another amp some years ago before I built the Stereomour and one failed.  Under warranty, it was replaced  by Eurotubes but  when I used the pair for the Stereomour , another one failed again.  I have since changed the Stereomour to use the 45 tube, but I also had problems with the JJ 7591 power tubes bought form the Tube Store for another amp.  One failed after about 40 hours. I avoid JJ tubes now, even if they are cheap.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 03:25:39 PM
If there is a downside to the EML solid plate it is the fact that nothing is visibly glowing. I only know if the amp is on by looking at the small tube.
Having said that the EMLs have started to open up nicely. The soundstage is huge and precise and the bass seems more present. I am definitely a fan!

My experience exactly. I didn't get the mesh plates to avoid going to extremes with tone (although it sure was tempting).

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline drewh1

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 11:05:09 AM
My experience is similar to Hanks, JJ's have been in my system from day one (2 1/2 years now I think) and no problems.  Please don't convince me to buy anything else for this amp, I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink into it already  ;D

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline borism

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 05:22:53 AM
No worries, no convincing going on.
Just an update. The EMLs have performed flawlessly so far. They are expensive but the quality in sound and appearance is definitely worth it to me. ;)

Boris

Offline drewh1

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 10:05:52 AM
Just checking in on the tubes again. Might be a purchase for me next year.  I am curious if you are using any kind of tube damping with them.  I found that some damping seemed to help my JJ's.

thanks and happy holidays.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:51 AM
Hey Drewh1;  I just added tube dampers for my JJ 2A3-40's from Eurotubes and they do work to sharpen up the presentation and soundstage. Good Call!

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline borism

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 02:59:48 PM
Hi,
The EMLs have performed without a hiccup and I have used the amplifier daily for hours. It's a pleasure. Unfortunately, I haven't tried any damping and it possibly may improve the sound even further.
The only upgrade as mentioned in another thread was adding Jupiter stacked coupling capacitors. That was definitely worthwhile!
Happy Holidays!

Boris