Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) hardware issue vs OS

Bryce · 11331

Offline aroide

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 12:45:22 PM
Please add me to the new free FW list.

I have had issues with newer USB3 macs (there is a thread from some months ago) and eventually gave up and hooked up an older USB2 mac to drive the DAC.  I did upgrade to El Cap without checking forums for issues (when will I ever learn) and that killed my DAC connection like others have mentioned.  I downgraded (painfully) and am back running.  But I'd love to be able to get the newer speedy mac in my listening room.

Tony Roide

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 12:57:58 PM
We have just received a DAC from someone and will be installing and testing the new firmware. We will have a better handle on this once that is done and will hopefully be ready to share our findings soon. So I will ask that everyone bear with us a little longer while we work this next step.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:50 PM
We are working with updated firmware that should resolve at least some of the issues the couple of users with newer Macs have experienced. We have reflashed one user's DAC but unfortunately we have not heard back from them about whether it resolved their particular issue. We are also trying to get back the new Mac that Josh loaned out so that we have one on hand to do further testing with.

This product was a new gig for everyone involved and we have learned now that it seems to be quite a challenge to keep up with companies like Apple and Lenovo who change hardware and OSs every quarter. I think there might be one or two more users who have had this issue. I would like to reflash some more DACs that have not liked newer Macs, and thus if anyone is experiencing that particular issue please contact us so we can arrange to get your DAC in for a free firmware upgrade.

Problem i was having related to the dac not recognizing bit rate changes.

The reflash has solved that problem.

Thanks Doc.

Offline davelang

• So many kits to build, life is short and fast
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 12:04:07 PM
So what is going on with the refresh issue?  I own a Bottlehead DAC and it is unusable with El Capitan.  Will this refresh be a user doable upgrade or will the unit have to be sent back.  Lets get some answers.  This a really bad for a otherwise great product.

David

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 12:21:33 PM
What about the solutions already proven in this thread: TOSLINK, using a hub, and rolling back the OS? Have all of these options failed for you Dave?

Furthermore, can you please provide hardware and software specifics?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:24:35 PM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 10:17:36 AM
The 10.11.1 update supposedly addressed some USB and audio issues. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Joshua Harris

Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline aroide

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 04:39:41 PM
I just tried audirvana plus on my macbook pro running 10.11.1 and it disconnects with the BH DAC just as it did with other el cap versions.  So definitely not upgrading yet.   My other xmos 2 DACs are all fine.  Waiting for a DAC FW update before switching my listening room mac to El Cap.  Mavericks AND an older usb2 mac seem to work.  Newer macs (Haswell or later) don't work at all even with Mavericks.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline Bryce

Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 08:28:00 AM
Sorry for the update after having the BHDAC reflashed at BH. I've been offline for a while.  Overall, the DAC seems to work fine after the reprogramming. The USB interface no longer drops the DAC as soon as a signal is sent without any additional USB hub. It works in Amarra without any glitches switching bitrates too.  It looks like the basic problem I was having with the DAC is solved. ;D  I'm still curious why it happened in the first place.

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult.

-E.B. White, writer (1899-1985)

Offline rburrows

Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 06:19:51 AM
That's great news, Bryce! Does this mean the new firmware is ready for everyone else, or is there still work being done at HQ?

Offline debk

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 05:33:11 PM
My mac updates to 10.11 and now the DAC does not work with the MAC.

What do I need to do to get the DAC flashed so it will work with OS X10.11

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 05:59:16 PM
What about the solutions already proven in this thread: TOSLINK, using a hub, and rolling back the OS? Have all of these options failed for you Dave Debra?

Joshua Harris

Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline debk

Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 06:19:08 AM
i am going to get a USB hub after clinic today and will try it this evening.  I really don't want to roll back the OS.  I haven't tried using the optical out either

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Bryce

Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 04:41:56 PM
Well, after taking a long time away from the boards I have an update for those mac users out there... ;D

Same mac setup as posted originally, but with the OS v10.13.3 (17D46a) High Sierra BetaOS.  It seems to work fine without dropping the DAC in USB, but the best/smoothest setup that works is the S/P Dif interface through a schitt converter (EITR).  No problems and I can't honestly tell a difference between interfaces- TOS, USB, or S/P.  I think the MIDI interface software by Apple deserves a workover, but I just test and play with this stuff.   Whatever power management that Apple OS went through seems to be worked out without doing anything on my part but waiting...  Using Amarra Luxe as well.

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult.

-E.B. White, writer (1899-1985)