Speaker kit experiments - an archive of the Jäger Speaker development

Doc B. · 42330

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #105 on: June 14, 2017, 12:01:06 PM
I have just sent in the order for the production prototype cabinets that we will use to shoot the assembly manual for this kit. Getting closer and closer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #106 on: June 29, 2017, 03:56:33 AM
When do you expect to release the kit?

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #107 on: June 29, 2017, 04:44:09 AM
Once we have the assembly manual shot we will start taking pre orders. The new cabinets should be here pretty soon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mike L.

Reply #108 on: August 03, 2017, 05:21:16 AM
I had the good fortune to spend a few hours with Doc at Bottleheadquarters a couple of months ago, just after he installed the impedance compensation networks.  We listened to a wide range of music, from just about every source known to Man.  We tried good recordings (the Tape Project!  OMG!), crappy digital recordings, and everything in between.  His new speakers are fantastic.

By that, I don't mean that they made crappy recordings sound good.  They are too revealing for that.  What they did do, however, was let the music shine through without emphasizing or masking anything.  Poor recordings were revealed for what they were, but they were still enjoyable.  Good recordings, on the other hand, were unlike anything I've yet heard.  One of my favorites is "Saxophone Colossus" from Sonny Rollins.  It is one of my reference albums, I know every note and brush stroke, and I listen to it on every system I can.  I've never heard it sound this good.  The same can be said for every album we tried.  Driven by the Stereomour II in Doc's listening room, these speakers kick ass.

For contrast, my personal speakers are my own design/fabrication and are something of a homage to the Omega outlaws.  They consist of a Fostex 120a in a sealed volume, rolled off with a single capacitor at around 300hz, driven by my Stereomour.  In a separate sealed volume I've got a Dayton sub driven by a Crown XLS1500, digitally crossed over to integrate with the Fostex.  At low to medium volumes they sound pretty damned good.  Incredibly fast and detailed in the mids, as full range drivers so often are, with gobs of very punchy bass.  I've blown the minds of many a visitor with these speakers, and it pains me more than a little to admit that the new Bottleheads are significantly better in every way.  All of the detail and articulation, with none of the shout or high-volume breakup I get with mine.  The bass is all there and perfectly integrated.  Rich and full with no boom.

Am I gushing?  Perhaps, but not because I have anything to gain.  On the contrary, this is my attempt to give back a bit.
 I've learned a tremendous amount from this forum and rarely have much to share that any one of you don't already know.  In this particular case I'm one of only a few civilians to get my ears on these things so figured I'd give my best attempt at a useful review.  If you are in the market for new speakers, I highly recommend giving these a shot.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #109 on: August 03, 2017, 05:40:32 AM
Wow, thank you so much, Mike! We're hoping to see the final prototype cabinet panels this week and get started on the assembly manual. As usual the process is going slower than I had planned. But one way or another we will have things far enough along to take pre-orders this month.

For anyone who wants to hear the speakers, we have them set up in our listening room. A great day to hear them will be this Saturday from 12-3. We will be having our monthly meetup, spinning vinyl with an experimental all tube moving coil cartridge step up preamp. Or give us a call and we will be happy to arrange a time for you to hear them during the week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #110 on: August 15, 2017, 01:55:29 PM
I'm thinking I have not shown the back of the cabinet yet. This is a pic of the prototype built just prior to the production one we will be building for the assembly manual. It is 98% the same, the 2% difference being that the binding posts will sit a little higher on the back panel to simplify the internal wiring. You can see the cubby hole in the bottom for the passive crossover. That will allow easy removal of the crossover when we come out with an active tube crossover for biamping, some time in the future. We're working out packaging right now and then we will be moving on to shooting the manual.

(https://bottlehead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20170815_1430132-e1502840962859.jpg)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Deluk

Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:56 AM
Why do the binding posts have to be up that high? There is plenty of room between the port and the cubby hole. Would also make things tidier behind the speaker when set up. Dare I say that there are many choices of speaker post inserts which would neaten things up too.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 05:12:13 AM
The binding posts will sit a little higher on the back panel to simplify the internal wiring. There is an impedance network board for the woofers and the tweeter, that is mounted on a solid center divider between the two woofers. The binding posts are high enough to make a short connection to that board. This way there is only one easy to seal hole through the center divider for running the wiring to the lower woofer, rather than four or five holes back and forth from posts to board or board to upper woofer and tweeter.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline butchbass

Reply #113 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:17 AM
If you have a little age on you and are arthritic the higher positioned binding posts will be a plus!

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #114 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:54 AM
Well after Paul Birkeland(with his wife and new baby boy) visited our home in Eugene last week giving a very positive account of the new speakers, I am curious once again about the possible delivery date. Paul said that the high sensitivity of these speakers will allow the Custom Bottlehead/JJ 2A3-40 equipped stereo amp that Paul built for me to really sing freely, as compared with the Orca/Buf Subs currently in use, which bottom out when stressed with big symphonic music, Like Mahler, etc.

So, I am eager to hear how the final design is going together, and when it may be available to those that live south of the border in Oregon. I would welcome a trip north to hear them and pack a pair home, as I have deferred an art/business trip to Seattle, hoping soon to bring back a pair to build. Any new word on a delivery timeline Doc?

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

PS: Meanwhile, here is the setup waiting for them(do they have a name?).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:49:48 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 11:48:27 AM
I'm hoping to be ready to take orders in September. We're getting down to the last few details.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
.... We're getting down to the last few details.
Such as a name! I've been calling them the "Nameless Speaker" for a while now...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 03:27:29 PM
You are assuming I don't have a name that I'm keeping to myself ;). Josh and I are leaning towards Jaeger, as in,

If you have a Kaiju, you need a Jaeger.

We got some good news today about pricing and packaging, so we have moved another small step forward.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Deluk

Reply #118 on: August 23, 2017, 01:21:36 AM
"If you have a Kaiju, you need a Jaeger."

I had to Google that phrase and all then became clear although all of that was completely new to me. Nice connection. At least I now have a possible answer to the question I asked a few weeks ago.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #119 on: August 23, 2017, 03:10:01 AM
So Doc, with all the effort that went into these does that make you guys the Jaeger masters?

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77