Doc B. · 42394

Offline johnsonad

Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 01:54:26 PM
Looking good!

Agreed!  They turned out nice!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #76 on: February 10, 2017, 02:05:55 PM
I like the bit for the crossover.  Earlier you had said you were working on a 6" base that the speaker would sit on.  I think it looks much nicer with it concealed like that.

Can't wait!  Did well on my taxes this year, so I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket.   :)

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 04:26:49 AM
Look great Doc! Sounds like a lot of progress is being made!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline adeep42

Reply #78 on: February 11, 2017, 05:45:00 AM
Doc, they look terrific. Hoping you can figure out how to package them so us non Seattle area folks get get them as well.

Alan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #79 on: February 11, 2017, 06:04:45 AM
I definitely plan to package them for shipment. In a lucky stroke some packaging experts came by a few months ago. They were visiting a customer in our business park, and one of them knew about us and was excited to come by to see the gear. Turned out they specialize in packaging stuff like flat pack furniture. I will be talking to them soon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgoss

Reply #80 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:44 AM
I know you guys are covered up with orders from the recent Crack amp sale.  But it's been a month since the last update.  Any news on the speaker front?

Thanks.

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator

Offline kgoss

Reply #82 on: March 12, 2017, 03:35:32 PM
Thanks Paul.  I didn't even consider looking at Facebook.

Ken Goss

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #83 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:27 AM
We had a great meeting on Saturday, during which all listening was done on the latest iteration of the kit speakers, with the new birch ply cabinets and some adjustments to the crossover to bring the component values a little closer to the design values. We listened with three different amps, three different sources and a pretty broad range of music to try to identify what things we were hearing that were consistent in the character of the speakers with any source or amp.

All in all it was a great session and a really great group of listeners. The birch ply makes for a much more dynamic presentation. My takeaway was that the new crossover components may have filled in a slight depression in the upper end of the woofer's response. With that filled in we now have some leeway to try shading the woofer array which is, essentially, cutting off the upper response of the lower woofer starting at a bit lower point than the upper driver. The theory is that we should get even better imaging (it's already very good) with only one woofer playing the upper mid and lower treble frequencies, along with less of the effects of comb filtering between the two woofers. This would be done without sacrificing any bass.  I'll be ordering parts for the shaded crossover this week.

The other cool news is that the CFO gave me permission to order our new 40W laser cutter today. My hope is to cut 1/8" plywood panels for mounting the crossover components, and to cut and engrave wool felt surrounds for the tweeters.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgoss

Reply #84 on: April 04, 2017, 01:18:22 PM
Thanks for the update Dan. Like everything you guys do I know they won't be released until they perform up to your high standards. So I won't ask when they will be ready for purchase. I really don't need a new pair of speakers, but dang you are making me want to place the order! 

Ken Goss

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #85 on: April 05, 2017, 02:28:37 AM
Can't wait to hear it!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #86 on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:43 AM
Kelvin built the shaded crossover yesterday and I gave it the first listen at the end of the day. Does some nice things. I'll offer more info after we do some measurements. The other news is that the laser cutter arrived yesterday. I will be setting this up in the shop at home due to its size and venting requirements. Hope to be able to run some trial cuts by next week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline yay

Reply #87 on: April 24, 2017, 10:06:06 AM
I assume there will be no way to get this in europe?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #88 on: April 24, 2017, 10:27:37 AM
We would certainly offer the kit for shipment to Europe. I don't know yet what it would cost.

The shaded crossover has worked out exceptionally well, and I think we are close to locking the design. I am working on the layout of the felt diffraction panels for laser cutting today.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #89 on: April 24, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance.  I know very little of speaker design.  What is a "shaded crossover?"

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan