Cap Rolling

TurbOSquiD77 · 6605

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 06:21:56 AM
I don't recommend Mylar capacitors because I'm not a fan of how they sound.  In my opinion, putting Mylar caps in would be using parts of lower quality than those supplied.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 06:34:23 AM
If you are going to obsess over rolling caps you really should read the article that inspired the whole boutique cap industry years ago:

http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htm

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:52 AM
Thank you for the input Paul, and Dan.

Starting to read the article right now. Advice of this type is gold, as it could save one much time and money.  :)

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:18 AM
That was a good read.  :)
I'll need to go through the article a few more times, and study the concepts for sure.
Do you have literature, or video that you favor specifically on using bypass capacitors?

PB, I asked about mylar because Duelund created a 200uF mylar capacitor and I was curious about their performance. After reading the article from above, it does make sense why one might not like their sound!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 10:58:51 AM
Do you have literature, or video that you favor specifically on using bypass capacitors?

My treatise on the subject of using bypass caps is published below:

Don't.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 04:15:34 PM
My treatise on the subject of using bypass caps is published below:

Don't.

Hah, cool. Although I do respect your answer, you've peaked my curiosity.

Thank you, Doc (and PB!)  :)

Honestly there was nothing more cool than when I listened to the C2A for the first time completely stock. Mods are fun too. I like both.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:56:28 PM by TurbOSquiD77 »

Offline bob lennon

Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:19 AM
I am using those new Mundorf evo oils in my crack2a as well, they cost a lot. I think they sound cleaner than the stock ones but they are warm sounding over the already warm crack sound. I think they were designed for speaker crossovers, maybe sound less warm with transistor amps.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 05:31:48 AM
Hello Bob,

How are you liking the C2A? I put in the Evo Oils after the TwoQuiet Stepped Attenuator upgrade so I can't speak on how they sound without. IMHO, the TwoQuiet was such an awesome upgrade to experience!

-T

Offline Love Rhino

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 05:06:25 PM
The 0.1uF is in series with a 220 ohm resistor. The time constant (R times C) is chosen to keep the 431 chip stable, so the product should not change very much - maybe +30% to -20%? I favor keeping the resistance value near 200 ohms so the effective source impedance is similar at high frequencies to the regulator's low frequency source impedance.

So a 600vdc cap would through this off and have a negative effect?  Just getting clarification that it is the vdc you're referring to because there are some pretty fun seeming inexpensive .1uf caps, but quite a few are in the 600vdc range. 

Thank you!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 05:13:22 PM
The cap voltage isn't critical in that position, but it should be rated for at least 250V.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man