SEX C4S Question

proud indian · 4132

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 06:20:49 AM
We are going to discuss this when we all get together later today. It's bit of a conundrum since these amps were packed a few years apart and we don't have any other, similar cases to add to the knowledge base.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 07:59:52 AM
Thanks for the effort Doc.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 06:19:26 PM
How do the resistors measure?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Mordicai

Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 08:41:27 AM
The resistors are right on. 150, 151.......499, 499. Everything else looks bright and shiny. Not quite sure how to measure the other two sets of resistors.

Offline proud indian

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 03:47:35 AM
I am travelling,  hence unable to check. But I do remember that all the valus matched what was given in the manual.

Shreekant

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline proud indian

Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 03:51:02 AM
Mordicai, which country do you live in, since you mentioned 125v.

Shreekant

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 11:18:39 AM
Shreekant, Im in San Diego, USA. I bet those v Caps sound nice in the Sex. I went with Mundorf SO and Jupiter copper foil. V Caps are going in my nest kit. Probably the Mainline. Didn't mean to hijack your tread, but are problems  seem to be the same, so I think it will work out. Ordered sone LED'S from BH this morning and will install them in the Sex even though the ones in there are lit. Running out of ideas. Not happy about a hot C4S.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 05:48:46 PM
Just a bit of re-assurance here - we are looking at some possible approaches to resolving this issue. Had some good discussion at (and after) the club meeting on Saturday. Stay tuned!

Paul Joppa

Offline Mordicai

Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up Paul

Offline proud indian

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 02:40:16 PM
Thanks Paul.

Shreekant

Offline Mordicai

Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 01:29:10 PM
I was able to get my left channel working by resoldering the MJE5731A, Played great for an hour or two and then the right channel quit.  Definitely a paranormal event!

Offline proud indian

Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 04:43:44 PM
Looks like we will have  to live with a stock of led's, considering that we are unable to come up with a solution.

Shreekant

Offline Mordicai

Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:38 PM
Looks like we will have  to live with a stock of led's, considering that we are unable to come up with a solution.

Shreekant
My problem seems to have been a bad solder job on the the center lug of the transistor. The lug is  to the heat sink and takes bit of solder heat to get the lug soldered right. Since I fixed it I have had no problem with the amp. Why the resistor leads are burnt a bit I dont know. I live in the high desert and the temps in the summer get bit warm. Since you are in an air conditioned space thats not your problem. My LED's are not a problem. Hope you get it figured out.

Offline proud indian

Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:41 PM
High room temperature cannot fry a resistor.  I have never heard or experienced  it. A friend of mine feels it could be a bad tube and I have changed it. So far no problem.

Shreekant

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 02:55:30 PM
High room temperature cannot fry a resistor.
That's absolutely not true.  If your room is 20C above what would be considered "room temperature", everything in your amp is going to run that much warmer.  This will be especially rough on electrolytic capacitors, but a resistor that's case temperature is 100C at an average room temperature will now be that much warmer in a hot room.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man