SEX C4S Question

proud indian · 4131

Offline proud indian

Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:12 AM
Like I said earlier, my dedicated music room is air conditioned and is set at 26°C. So that would be my room temperature. 

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline proud indian

Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:08 AM
There are more than a 1000 views and still I havent got a solution to this problem,  unless I am to assume that the temperature is the sole cause. Need some reassurance.

Shreekant

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 06:57:27 AM
I have nudged the guys again to come up with a suggestion for this. I do wonder about the overall condition of the tinning on the pads on the PC board. It seems oxidized. Did you wipe the board with some sort of solvent, perhaps? The condition of the pads makes me wonder if there is a conductivity issue between the resistor leads and the pads they are soldered to. The resistor bodies don't look cooked as much as the solder joints do. You might just try reflowing those resistor connections.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:42 AM
I think temperature is only part of the cause for failure, seems that everything works after you have re-soldered in a part.  What kind of solder do you use?  Are you adding flux?  Something seems common to all your solder joints oxidizing and if the boards are all common the unknown is the solder material you use.  I'll share your board pics with some of the guys at work, they do a lot of inspect and review of this type stuff.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline proud indian

Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:04 PM
I have soldered it more than 4 to 5 times as that is the number of led's that I have changed. Every time the led is changed, I check the joints and reheat them.
As of now, it is playing fine, and will continue to do so for a few months.. I have changed tubes.
To answer your question solder..... yes it has flux. I cant remember the type of solder, as I bought it off ebay. I thimk it was wbt.. it has a mix of silver if I recall right.
The amp is placed on isoblocks, on a maple wood slab, so it has more ventilation then with just the feet.

Shreekant