Output Capacitor Upgrading Questions

jrihs · 131625

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #135 on: April 03, 2012, 01:36:27 PM
hey John - cool thing about the films is that they will outlive your equipment! I have moved my Mundorf silver/oils around for the past 10 yrs or so. No shortage of uses. If I were to buy new speakers today I'm sure I would hack out whatever was in there and stick my own stuff in there.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline jrihs

Reply #136 on: April 04, 2012, 11:39:49 AM
Yeah, thats why I'm thinking of upgrading(?) to the auricaps (100 uf / 200v), (2.52"D x 2.80"L).

But really I think I will probably get the Mundorfs (100 uf / 400v) while they are on sale (20% off till the end of the month, which may be enough to cover shipping from Canada. why is it cheaper to ship from everyplace else on the planet than Canada).

ADDED, I wonder what Duelunds would sound like if they were made in the needed values?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:02:02 PM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #137 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:01 PM
Yeah, thats why I'm thinking of upgrading(?) to the auricaps (100 uf / 200v), (2.52"D x 2.80"L).

But really I think I will probably get the Mundorfs (100 uf / 400v) while they are on sale (20% off till the end of the month, which may be enough to cover shipping from Canada. why is it cheaper to ship from everyplace else on the planet than Canada).

ADDED, I wonder what Duelunds would sound like if they were made in the needed values?

Hey John - Duelunds would be sweet! Too pricy for my blood. I think the VSF's go pretty high, but the price gets nuts! I'm listening to The Mundorf 59uf MKP's that arrived yesterday from Parts Connection. Brand new of course, but they sound very good. I replaced the electrolytic cathode bypass caps (1000uf) in the Quickie with them. I checked some calculations and 59uf is plenty big enough to not roll off the bass. Paul said 40uf would be enough so I bought a bit bigger to error on caution.

I'm a Mundorf fan, so I'm a bit biased. I have about a dozen of them here and there. I think they are a good value.

Cheers - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #138 on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:52 AM
Eric,

I am burning in (link)  for 3 weeks a pair of Mundorf 0.47uF Silver Gold for my Eros.  I couldn't pass up the Parts ConneXion (link) sale.

The Mundorf Silver caps (2uF) in my FP 2 are the most expensive cap that I have ever bought, but not heard.  So with the sale I bumped it up for the Eros.  It is designed with a lower value (0.47uF).  The Foreplays need something higher.  PJ has even challenged me to try a 0.22uF in my Eros.

Sorry for all the Eros mentions in a Crack thread...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #139 on: April 05, 2012, 05:20:20 AM
Hey Granger - How goes it? Very cool burn in rig - has to be about as simple as they get. ! Thats putting your engineering skills to good use!

In general, as far as burn in goes, I havent really noticed much of a difference with component burn in, outside of the first few hours. A new solder joint tends to sound better over about an hour or so as well. For me, if the component has some disagreeable qualities, they usually dont go away after the first few hours of use. I good example is the Emotiva amp I bought recently. That thing is PACKED with electronics. Most likely not of the highest grade as well (for $700 they cant be). Its sound has changed some over the hours, but not much. I liked it out of the box. Very agreeable, nice and well behaved. Not what I would have expected from such a complex low cost SS beast.

Dont get me wrong, I do subscribe to the adage 'everything makes a difference', I think its a matter of degree. What mood I'm in certainly is a much bigger factor than any of the others, on any given day.

Currious to hear your take on the Silver/Golds (are they the oilers?)! My prediction would be more detail and resolution, along the lines of Teflon.

Cheers - Eric

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #140 on: April 05, 2012, 05:44:32 AM
Yup, the Silver/Gold caps are Silver Gold and oil.  It will be a couple of weeks before I can give any impressions.

In particular Teflon caps start out Ok, but become hard then smooth out.  The increased detail and presence for high and mid frequencies is what I have noticed with burn in.

And, of course, the right quantity of your favorite brown fluid probably makes more difference.  Dan likes Gin.  So everybody is different.

Offline BNAL

Reply #141 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:35 PM
Ok I pulled the trigger on a pair of 100uF oil caps from eBay. I figured that for the price it was worth a shot. Not sure how I'm going to fit them in since I already have 2 Triad chokes in the power supply. It will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to install them. I want to burn them in first.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #142 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:03 PM
100uF oilers must be some big ones! Russian? Do you have a link? I tend to like the oils with my Maggies combined with the SS gear. My paper in oils sound real good bypassed with my pricy silver/oils.

Eric

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #143 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40:26 PM
Ok I pulled the trigger on a pair of 100uF oil caps from eBay. I figured that for the price it was worth a shot. Not sure how I'm going to fit them in since I already have 2 Triad chokes in the power supply. It will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to install them. I want to burn them in first.

Motor run caps?

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline BNAL

Reply #144 on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:38 AM
Here is the link. I figured for the price it was worth giving these a shot.

100uF Oil Cap

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline Laudanum

Reply #145 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:28 AM

100uF Oil Cap

I have a couple.  Big caps and Im not creative enough, or atleast dont feel like being so at the moment :-)  Honestly, I think it would take a taller base or a seperate box for the caps but I didnt measure, just went by a "man these are big, maybe later" assessment.  But if you figure out a way to shoehorn them in there, please do post pictures. 

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #146 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:43 AM
Yup, those are motor start caps.  Big a$$ed motors need an angle between the voltage and current wave to get the torque to start from a dead standstill.  This supplies it.  More sophisticated motors have a speed switch that takes the capacitor out of the circuit after a certain speed.

I have a pair of those in my FP 2 PDMPS.  I put heat shrink tube over the lugs after soldering on the wires.

I haven't used these as signal path caps, but I should try the spare pair I have.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #147 on: May 01, 2012, 05:23:33 AM

100uF Oil Cap

Looks to be CSC. Pretty good cap, but I haven't used in the signal path, just PS. I have 2 of these that are going into my 300B mono amp build.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline BNAL

Reply #148 on: May 11, 2012, 11:08:14 AM
I have been burning in the big motor run caps for almost a week now. Not sure if it needs more time, but not sure I can wait. Got figureout how to fit them in. I know that I will have to remove the big Russian Teflons. I'm just hoping I can squeeze them in their place. I hope they sound good in the circuit.

Brad Nalitt
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #149 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:02 PM
I think my 56uF M-Cap MKP's cathode bypass caps are finally settled into my Quickie. They sounded good from the get go. Everything is good and agreeable at this stage. I dont feel I need volume to enjoy my music. Great punch, response and transients. I'm overall happy to get rid of the electrolytics even though I believe the Elna's were a good match.

Eric