Q-Fixx

Guest · 2388

4krow

on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
Been forever since I posted, but the Q remains one of my favorites. Then again, I liked the Fixx so much, that I have decided to match them up in one box. It was originally a 'voltage  box' made by Leeds & Northrup. I got it for a song, and here is what I have done with so far.

4krow

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:35:03 PM
Just to give the other side view, I am adding this photo. I am trying out different knobs for the 4 controls of the FIXX. Not sure what I will end up with, as there are more on the way.

4krow

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:31 AM
 I normally wouldn't ask this question, but in this case, the 3 stepped attenuators are epoxied in place and getting them back out makes me think twice. I mistakingly put a 20k value in place rather than a 100k value. What consequences if any, might there be for this change, and would there be component changes needed in the circuit itself to allow this the 20k part to work properly?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:39 AM
I'm a little confused - you mention the three Fix switches (they are not attenuators), and then a 100K part. The only 100K part is the Quickie stereo level control (this is an attenuator).

If the Quickie drives the Fix, then that is OK. But then the Fix should then drive an amplifier with at least 100K input impedance.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:16 AM
 To be clear, I am only referring to the Quickie circuit. The 3 stepped attenuators are used as a series/ladder arrangement for the volume control as designed by John Broskie. This arrangement has served me well in the past, and so I chose to use it again for this project. So then, the question is, does the volume control of the Quickie have to be 100k? If it were only 20k, what effect would this have on the Quickie circuit. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:45 AM
20K may load down your source. We don't know what your source is and we have never considered using a 20K pot on a Quickie so we can't answer this with any authority. Your best bet is to try a 100K pot in place of the 20K and judge for yourself.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:41 AM
Thanks Doc. I was a bit concerned that there might be a consequence for the Quickie circuit itself, maybe in low end response. Fortunately the source that I will be using is capable of loads into as low as 10k. It is a Cd Player. I will have to see how the Quckie/Fix circuit does on the other end when connecting it to a power amp. But that is another story.

4krow

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 03:41:20 PM
An update on the progress here. Whether waiting for parts or working on other projects, I am getting things accomplished, but not as quickly as intended. At this point, I have made a brass mounting plate for the ceramic lugs, and have attached some of the grounds to the ground buss. The buss wire is actually square in shape, and this is just one of those things that are more difficult to find out there.

4krow

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:10:23 AM
 As of now, I have had the decision made for me that the batteries will go into a separate enclosure. No problem, I have just the box for it. Trying to think ahead, the next question is, it wouldn't make a difference if I placed the PJCCS in that same box? Things will be a lot less tight if I can do that.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:14:54 AM
The PJCCS should be somewhat close to the 3S4s themselves. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:00:51 AM
Very good. Thank you. Since I am moving the batteries to another box, I have the room for the PJCCS. Kinda like moving into a house that is smaller than you thought. Think of the battery box as Storage, or a separate garage. HA!

4krow

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 07:48:46 AM
Update:
  Here is a shot of the proposed battery box, without a top just yet. Also, a shot of the inputs and 1 outputs. Due to a drilling error, a brass plate now covers the output side of the project.

4krow

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 05:05:03 PM
Made a right turn, and decided on a smaller box for the batteries. Still had to make a top for it.

4krow

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:11:21 PM
A shot of the inside of the battery box.  What is tough to see is that there are five 9 volt batteries along with a switch to cut the ground to all batteries. May rethink the wiring since it is pretty stiff.