Down to the wire and then....EEK!

ALL212 · 1552

Offline ALL212

on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:20 PM
Page 62, 2nd step on the page and 4th step on the page...

If you've put in film caps reaching 16U and 6U is almost impossible.

On the 2nd step - instead of soldering to 16U can I instead solder at C5?  IB to C5?
On the 4th step - instead of soldering to 6u can I instead solder to C2?  IA to C2?

For others using film caps for the 100uf positions... It's too late for me but evaluate:
On page 60 2nd and 3rd steps.
Instead of soldering to IA and IB on the low current C4S board:
IB would solder to 16U (the 4 3/4" red wire) instead and be positioned for future use when the low current C4S board is installed.
IA would solder to 6U (the 6 1/2" red wire) instead and be positioned for future use when the low current C4S board is installed.

Thanks.

Aaron Luebke

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:57:40 AM
I would suggest just popping out your film caps, installing the electrolytic caps provided, then finishing the build.  The amp is quite a bit easier to work on/debug without the film caps installed.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ALL212

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:05 PM
NM...I got it.  I loosened the other boards and that gave me room.

Aaron Luebke

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:13:51 AM
Now that I see your build pictures, I can more easily see the problem.  Those caps are enormous!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ALL212

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:40:26 AM
ya...I kinda forgot how big those were.  After ordering I had a small nightmare when I remembered trying to fit those in elsewhere.  They just fit in the Cracka2a - I could go longer but not wider!  Thank goodness for the wire tie standoffs screwed in - I added a couple of adhesive ones but I'm not sure if adhesive alone would hold those.

I like the ClarityCap's.  Once I got them in I reviewed some of the other's build pics and realized that what others used seemed to fit better as they have a smaller circumference.

So - lesson learned - ClarityCap PX's are 71 x 71 x 60mm.  I'd guess 72mm is about the max you could go for circumference...I'd stick with 71mm or less.  I know the selector switch I used and the volume pot might have compounded my issue.

Aaron Luebke