First kit?

nad88 · 1247

Offline nad88

on: March 26, 2018, 03:02:14 PM
Just bought one of these and have 0 previous bottlehead or even soldering experience. After reading the warnings in the manual I'm a little concerned.

Is it possible to do this as a first time kit or should I consider starting with something else first?

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:26:21 PM
The pictures are your friend!!!  Repeat that whenever you get confused.  As long as you respect the safety warnings you should have no problem.  The rest is technique that you eventually get the hang of.  Get an iron, some wire and turrets and practice making solid physical connections then soldering them and you will be fine.  Wish Radio Shack was still open, they had little soldering kits, maybe they can be found on Amazon.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:05:14 PM
While the C2A isn't the easiest kit we make, the manual is a fairly recent one, and it's nice and specific with tons of helpful photos.  The biggest issue new builders run into is rushing (wait, I still do that :/ ), so do your best to spread the build out over a few weekends and you will end up with a great little headphone amp. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man