Crack-a-two-a Build Log

L0rdGwyn · 7652

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 02:55:28 PM
Alright, final entry in the build log.

Finished my Bottlehead Power Cord.  Had a little mishap with the adhesive heat shrink included in the kit, so I had to replace the shrink and the tubing.  Since the plugs were both goopy, and everything else on this build has been customized, decided to go ahead a pimp out my cord a little bit: got some nice fabric woven tubing, 4:1 heat shrink, and a Wattgate AC plug.

After finishing the top coat on the base, I buffed it to a high gloss (not sure if it comes across in the pics with the lighting).

Well that's it!  Build complete.  Below are some pics of the cord and some shots of the final build.  Also has the 6SN7 adapter I put together.

Thanks for checking out my log!  Happy listening.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 07:09:23 PM
LOrdGwyn, thanks for documenting your build. Really enjoyed your pictures. Would you mind describing the sound of the Crack-a-two-a compared to your Crack+Speedball? Also please state the headphones and tubes used for the comparison. Thanks in advance.

-Raymond

Raymond P.

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:27 AM
LOrdGwyn, thanks for documenting your build. Really enjoyed your pictures. Would you mind describing the sound of the Crack-a-two-a compared to your Crack+Speedball? Also please state the headphones and tubes used for the comparison. Thanks in advance.

-Raymond

Hey Ray!  Thanks for checking it out.  And absolutely.  Keep in mind this is from memory (I no longer have my BHC+SB), so I can't give you a true A-B comparison.  My standard setup on my BHC+SB was a Western Electric 421A power tube with a Mullard CV4003 driver.  Here are my thoughts while listening with the same configuration on the Crack-a-two-a but with General Electric 5-star 6005 shunt tubes.  My two main sets of headphones are my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros and my Sennheiser HD660S.  I would say the things that stick out with the Crack-a-two-a is an increase in clarity, better bass definition, and wider sound-staging.  I think there is also better separation between sounds/notes, which may be what Doc is referring to when he says the power supply gives a blacker background.  I feel that the presentation is also more detailed, more microdetails, but its hard to say without a direct comparison.

Hope that helps!  Sorry I can't be more specific without the Crack to do a side-by-side, I don't want to be misleading, but let me know if you have any questions.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Jimb0

Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 03:04:28 PM
LOrdGwyn, I think you gave a perfect A-B comparison between the Crack+Speedball and Crackatwoa. I currently have both amps and a pair of HD 650's with the Crack being fully modded. I think you were spot on. Although the Crack+Speedball is very nice, the Crackatwoa offers a lot more. Music sounds like real life, like you're in the studio or concert with the artists. I can only imagine what these sound like with HD 800S's. Definitely worth every penny. To my ears they sound and look like a $1500+ amp.

Very nice amp btw. I love what you did with the chassis! Awesome work :)

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:28 PM
LOrdGwyn, I think you gave a perfect A-B comparison between the Crack+Speedball and Crackatwoa. I currently have both amps and a pair of HD 650's with the Crack being fully modded. I think you were spot on. Although the Crack+Speedball is very nice, the Crackatwoa offers a lot more. Music sounds like real life, like you're in the studio or concert with the artists. I can only imagine what these sound like with HD 800S's. Definitely worth every penny. To my ears they sound and look like a $1500+ amp.

Very nice amp btw. I love what you did with the chassis! Awesome work :)

Thanks, Jimb0!  Glad you agree and I appreciate the compliment :) really loving this amp so far, having a lot of fun rolling tubes and headphones.  Just purchased my first true TOTL headphone to pair with it, ZMF Auteur, can't wait.

Keenan McKnight