Completed Reduction

oguinn · 1474

Offline oguinn

on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:06 PM
I finished my Reduction today. Thanks, PB for the reassurances on the resistance checks. I'm loving the sound!

I took the chassis plate, transformer bell, shield mounts, and shields to a local motorcycle repair place to get powder coated. I went with a candy orange chassis plate and a glossy white on the other parts. I think they did an excellent job for the most part. There's some mild warping on the plate, and there are some chipped edges.

I've learned a few things that I think are worth passing along:
  • Powder coating worked really well, but I maybe oversold the necessity for the back to be completely bare. This resulted in some lightly covered edges and led to some chipping.
  • If you do go the powder coat route, make sure you have small files to clean out areas where the hardware mounts. I broke a couple clips off the power switch forcing it in, and you really need to press it in to get the switch to fully click. I think five minutes of filing would have fixed this, and I took a lot more care on the tube sockets.
  • Although it didn't matter in the end, you'll want to make sure you clean some areas up around the screws on the power transformer bell otherwise you'll have some incorrect resistance measurements.
  • On my first run at the stack of capacitors in the RIAA circuit (at least I think that's where they were) I was a little sloppy with the placement of the leads, which made it difficult to solder without melting a capacitor. I took a lot more time on the second grouping and I think it's maybe some of my best building yet.

So far I haven't needed to use the shields. I'm going to let this burn in and ride for a while before I install the Integration upgrade.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:17:21 PM
The orange looks nice.  I think I have a bag of that color stashed somewhere...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:34:42 AM
Do thay call that a "burnt-orange" or something? Very nice with the white accents. There are a lot of leads to heat on those caps, using a single 0.030uf (like in the Eros) or two 0.015s make it easier.
Good work, enjoy.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:40 AM
I actually don’t know what the color is called. I pointed to an orange in the shop, then emailed later and asked about making it a candy instead. I can ask for a color when I go back today to powder coat the Stereomour and Smash I have sitting around

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline jtori

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:28:46 PM
Very nice!  The finish on your chassis plate looks especially outstanding.  Enjoy!

Joe.