Completed Smash!

oguinn · 3924

Offline oguinn

on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:28 AM
Finished the Smash today! That was a fun build.

The top chassis is finished in the same candy orange as my Reduction. I'm waiting on white knobs to match the color scheme.

One general question: should the OD3 glow purplish? Is that expected?

One quick question about the Smashquiet (and Mourquiet) upgrades: Does Bottlehead have any interest in selling me either custom white plates, or the CAD files for the faceplates so I can take them to FrontPanelExpress or a local Makerspace? No worries if not - I can try and replicate as best I can on FPE’s CAD software. Just figured I’d see if there was a way to buy from you all first and save some time on my end.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:48 AM
It's a good exercise in Front Panel Express.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:09 AM
It's a good exercise in Front Panel Express.

Alright, thanks. It's a little daunting since they don't appear to offer proofs and that part looks like it's about $95 if I have them etch and powder coat also - that's a steep price for a mistake.

Everything good with the 0D3 glowing purple?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:44:58 AM
The overlay that comes with the kit is styrene and would be easy to spray with oil base model paint. Then just infill the engraving with a contrasting color of water base acrylic model paint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:26:15 PM
Alright, thanks. It's a little daunting since they don't appear to offer proofs and that part looks like it's about $95 if I have them etch and powder coat also - that's a steep price for a mistake.
Yeah, tell me about it!  I have had plenty of $500+ mistakes over the years.  If I had a Front Panel Express file laid out with the lettering in their font, I would just send that to you, but I did the artwork in Corel Draw.

Everything good with the 0D3 glowing purple?
Yes, that's part of normal operation.

I do actually think that the black panel would look great against the orange chassis.  You'd have a bit of a KTM color scheme going on. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:53 PM
Thanks for the reassurance on the glow.

There are definitely worse things in this life than having a black faceplate. I think I'll install it for now and just have a white, orange, and black scheme. I'm having a hell of a time finding 35mm white knobs anyway.

Thanks for the help, guys! Loving the Smash so far!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:48:55 PM
Yeah, you may have to use a completely different knob, which may mean a different attenuator overlay.  Things start getting complicated in a hurry.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:58:41 PM
I have a set of chicken head type ones on order. We'll see!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:19:49 PM
Ditto on the FPE ooops. I had an aluminum overlay made for my SII MourQuiet and offset the mounting holes slightly (<0.1") to better fit the case. I actually only offset 2 of the 3. After figuring mechanical attachment to the main panel with a countersunk screw I cut the head off one of the regular brass 4-40s I use and glued it in the empty overlay hole. Cutting off the heads of a couple 8-32 screws also works for the 2 extra holes in the transformer bell, I think it gives it a more finished look.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:13 PM
I keep a pile of chainsaw files in one of my tool cabinet drawers.  They work wonderfully to elongate small screw holes that aren't quite in the right place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland