any interest in a headphone kit?

Doc B. · 17876

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:07 AM
I just had a brainfart in the shower this morning for a rather unique headphone idea - unique enough that I'm not ready to share any details of how it would work. The product would probably be composed of the headphones and an amp designed specifically to work with their unique characteristics, but not with other headphones. 
Anyone interested in this kind of thing?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rchristie

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:08 AM
This sounds far-out.  An amp - headphones pairing that sounds phenomenal when used together, but each on its own is unable to play with others?  Yes!  How could this possibly work?

Rich Christie

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:15 PM
Doc,

You have become Henry Kloss.  Although I am not sure that brainfart and shower should be in the same sentence.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:13:11 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline xcortes

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:52:35 PM
Sounds like a VERY cool idea.

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:54:53 PM
I'm sure you thoght it already but you could use a cheapo commercial headphone to modify. Even if only for the headset.

Xavier Cortes

Offline grufti

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:57:54 PM
ok, but why?

The "headphone experience" is fairly well explored and forms a tight cluster with few outliers: in-ear, on-ear, over-ear, head-speaker.

Some of the outliers are interesting, the AKG K1000 comes to mind, Jecklin Float, some Stax models, ... but each of those has characteristics that limit its application.

I would be concerned that any non-standard headphone might run up against similar constraints: head fit, isolation, interaction with the surroundings.

....., but then again, if your brainfart breaks through a few of those constraints, please go for it!

Offline Wanderer

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 03:35:06 AM
The product would probably be composed of the headphones and an amp designed specifically to work with their unique characteristics, but not with other headphones. 
Anyone interested in this kind of thing?

As I used to listen to and enjoy STAX phones - which have similar amp married to 'phones set up - sure! 

However, with SeX, Crack and Quickie all with 'phones orientation are you over extenting yourself in one direction?   

Kevin R-M

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:36:43 AM
I'm sure it would be a remarkable success if marketed through HeadFi. It's always nice to have new options out there.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:29 AM
Following the Bottlehead naming tradition you could call it "Head".

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:23:05 AM

I would be concerned that any non-standard headphone might run up against similar constraints: head fit, isolation, interaction with the surroundings.

....., but then again, if your brainfart breaks through a few of those constraints, please go for it!

(http://bp0.blogger.com/_2OaBJfY-Sc8/R_dpc5q0E9I/AAAAAAAAAPs/EyxkPn9p94M/s400/ear_horn_amplifiers.jpg)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline vladimirwolfe

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:47 AM
The shipping costs are going to be killer on that one Doc!

Offline glennn111

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:38 AM
Wow! Deja vu! Doc those are exactly the phones I pictured in my mind! lmao

Glenn Sales

Foreplay III (6SN7GTB), last run Paramour I (45 and 76 tubes)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:54:58 AM
Just a quick update - I think I have come up with a fairly reasonable way to try this idea out. I have some potential "drivers in open back housings" on the way and some ear pads that will hopefully fit them. After spending a day looking for a reasonably priced off the shelf headband setup I think I have settled on stripping the muffs from a set of $35 David Clark ear muffs, which seem to use the same headband frame as their multi-hundred dollar, highly regarded aviation headsets. You can trick these out with sheepskin headband pads and other nifty bits, and presumably they are reasonably comfortable to wear for long periods of time. These prototype may be a bit on the heavy side as just the drivers in the housings look to weigh about 6 oz. each and both my K1000s and HD600s weigh about 10-11 oz. total. But there should be ways to trim the fat.

Once I have something assembled that can actually be worn we will start to evaluate the possibilities.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 08:58:01 AM
I dunno, the ones in the picture still look mighty attractive; I bet they're more than 6 oz. per side, though!

Jim C.

Offline chrisby

• commercial site:
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:24 PM
Doc,

You have become Henry Kloss.  Although I am not sure that brainfart and shower should be in the same sentence.

late to this thread, but provided one's alone (never a sure thing at casa Schmalle?) wouldn't the shower be the safest place?

Dan,  have fun with the "got head?" product, and remember the delicate balance between comfort and performance varies with the individual

I for one await with interest the product display photos
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:40:15 PM by chrisby »

Chris Bobiak
Victoria BC Canada

you don't really believe everything you think, do you?