CCS Loaded Parafeed Output - Design Considerations?

L0rdGwyn · 15917

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #105 on: November 12, 2020, 05:35:34 AM
What do you think of this PB...

A friend of mine made a comment that got the gears turning on how to simplify my 801A A2 design.

Originally, I was using a source follower buffer to drive the 801A grid into A2 with V+/V- supplies such that it could swing from +60 to -70V. What I am experimenting with (in LTSpice) is eliminating the source follower, elevating the 801A filaments (~200V), and direct-coupling the 801A grid to the mu-output of the EF37A CCS. This does away with the V+/V- supplies, allowing the grid to swing positive/negative with respect to the filament, and eliminates a coupling capacitor. The output impedance of the DN2540 appears low enough to provide the grid current for A2 and does not seem to be adversely affecting the plate current of the EF37A. Could be different in the real world, I've attached my functional but not refined schematic below, 6J7 has been substituted for the EF37A for proof-of-concept purposes. Thanks for looking.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #106 on: November 12, 2020, 06:52:21 AM
 I would rather see that 200V be a negative rail sitting under the driver so it doesn't have to deal with the craziness of the output stage.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #107 on: November 15, 2020, 01:55:39 AM
Hey PB - didn't see your reply for some reason.

Yeah, the more I have looked into this, I think that while it helps with some issues, it creates a host of other ones.  For instance, the bias of the output tube would be highly dependent on variances between different input tubes, changing each EF37A driver would require a manual adjustment.  Also, as the EF37A comes up to bias, the plate voltages initially swings up to 250-270V or so before settling down to 200V, meaning the 801A grid will momentarily be at +70V, which will likely blow my plate fuse.  Even if I increase the rating of the fuse, seems to me putting that stress on the 801A with each startup is not good design.  It also increases my B+ requirements, pushing up against the limit of 600V components...

I may just go back to the old setup!  Why didn't you tell me the 801A is such a pain, PB?!  (Just kidding, of course).

In your 801A A2 amplifier, what kind of harmonic spectrum were you seeing?  So far, with the NFB what I have measured as been a higher H3 than H2, not your typical SET dominant H2 spectrum.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #108 on: November 15, 2020, 07:01:53 AM
I didn't capture anything that specific.  The future owner of the amp was very eager to get it!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #109 on: November 16, 2020, 11:13:29 AM
I can see why, it's a real looker :) no worries, just thought I'd ask.

Keenan McKnight

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #110 on: December 01, 2020, 01:18:26 AM
Hey PB - Sowter iron arriving in the next few days.  I've abandoned my idea above on elevating the 801A filaments, back to using a negative bias supply.  Quick question for you - on your 801A A2 build, did you use a dedicated transformer for your negative bias supply, or did you run it off the 801A B+ secondary?  Right now, I am using Pete Millett's shunt-regulated 300B bias supply for my source follower V- (adapted for my use).  It's a bit unwieldy though since it has a dedicated toroid, trying to slim things down a bit.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #111 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:16 AM
I got lucky and the power transformer I used had a separate 100V winding that I used to generate the B- supply.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #112 on: December 01, 2020, 12:02:00 PM
Darn!  That would be perfect...perhaps I'll look around, see if I can find something suitable.  Thanks for the $0.02.

Keenan McKnight

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #113 on: December 01, 2020, 12:17:31 PM
Actually, quick follow up question for you PB if you don't mind: say I found a suitable mains transformer with an appropriate B+ winding for the 801A and a ~100V winding for the source follower V-.  In that case, it would be appealing to run the source follower V+ off the 801A B+ winding.  The concern here is the stress that could potentially be placed on the 801A grids if driven excessively into clipping in A2, as the V+ would supply any voltage asked of the driver.

Do you think that is a good reason to limit the source follower V+ supply, such that it does not run the risk of excessively high positive grid voltages? My initial though was to limit the peak-to-peak voltage swing of the pentode driver by simply applying the appropriate amount of feedback such that the remaining gain is ONLY enough to just clip the 801A.

Just to summarize, do you think I could use a 300V supply on the source follower drain and not worry about stressing the 801A grids by limiting the gain of the drive via feedback, versus using a lower voltage V+ supply to protect the grids, but making the power supply larger and more complicated since I would need another lower voltage transformer for the V+ supply...

Hope that makes sense, as always, I appreciate your time :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:19:32 PM by L0rdGwyn »

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #114 on: December 01, 2020, 01:11:57 PM
You could certainly use an avalanching device to add some protection there, though I've never been able to flog one of these amps hard enough to run into that issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #115 on: December 01, 2020, 02:56:59 PM
I hear ya, thanks, I'll think it over some more.  I doubt it would ever be an issue in real life use, just one of those hypothetical type of things.  Maybe I don't use the maximum amount of NFB and I have some extra gain on the driver and my cat paws the volume knob and melts my 801A grids LOL who knows.

Keenan McKnight

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #116 on: December 13, 2020, 11:52:13 AM
Got the Sowter iron, 5K:8ohm 60mA.  Designed the PCBs for the EF37A g2 supply, source follower, and my 0V 801A bias supply.  I don't know if I mentioned it, but what I am trying to do is use a 6.3VDC regulator on the EF37A heaters, then drop that across an adjustable voltage divider to make the gate of the source follower FET a few volts positive, such that I get a perfect 0V bias point.  We'll see how it goes, need to round up all of these parts, wait for a warm spell, then throw together a single channel and measure.

Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #117 on: December 13, 2020, 01:33:03 PM
That's one of the tough parts of using the 801 IMO, you often will need to be able to move the bias to either side of 0V.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #118 on: December 13, 2020, 02:18:17 PM
Yeah it is one of the final challengers I am facing, that and the driver g2 supply.  Should be able to adjust from around +1.5V to -3.5V on the grid, we’ll see how stiff the regulator is, hopefully I get it right the first time around.

Keenan McKnight

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #119 on: December 26, 2020, 06:27:04 AM
Hope you and everyone at Bottlehead had a nice holiday, PB.

Wanted to show you what I came up with as a solution for the 0V bias point problem, I think this is a good approach.  I got rid of the source follower FET!  Switched to a cathode follower, a 6BX7 with the plate current set by a current sink.  The negative grid voltage is generated by a LND150 CCS and a 56K resistor to ground.  Since the CCS is adjustable, the cathode voltage can be adjusted to either side of 0V by setting the grid voltage appropriately.

I think a single section of a 6BX7 will get the job done, but could always use two and parallel both triodes if necessary.

Keenan McKnight