News:
March 05, 2021, 11:58:39 PM

Author Topic: CCS Loaded Parafeed Output - Design Considerations?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline L0rdGwyn

Re: CCS Loaded Parafeed Output - Design Considerations?
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2021, 02:38:28 AM »
Interesting amplifier, would love to see it.  I was thinking more along the lines of a headphone amp.  I have seen the idea discussed somewhat for speaker amplifiers, with a high-gain input tube, but obeying Vhk could become a problem at high outputs.

With the 6AS7 OTL headphone amplifiers like the Crack being so popular, I'm surprised I haven't found anyone trying this, but could be due to the oddball transformer that would be needed, probably a custom job.  And who knows if it would really sound better than a simpler, cheaper output cap.
Keenan McKnight

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2021, 05:41:21 AM »
When you start your design assuming that you'll use an output transformer, you'd then really free up your choice of tubes to drive said output transformer, and there are many candidates that are far more linear than a 6080.  Edcor makes some small 1.7K output transformers that would work for such an experiment.

If you aren't using an output transformer, then you want a tube with a good amount of transconductance that can also pass a pretty heavy amount of DC current. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline L0rdGwyn

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »
Good point PB, I'll take a look at those Edcors.  The EC360 might be an interesting choice, I'll see what's out there.  I think this could make for a cool design, going to build on the idea over time and see what I can come up with, thanks for the $0.02.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:23:28 PM by L0rdGwyn »
Keenan McKnight