Confirming Correct Resistors

jtori · 1016

Offline jtori

on: May 22, 2020, 01:36:29 PM
Hi,

I am nearing completion of my Crackatwoa build.  Because there have been some discrepancies between the parts list and the parts I received (still waiting on two 13-ohm 1/4-watt resistors, which Eileen has kindly shipped), I want to confirm I've got the right components in the right places. 

The parts list specifies 4-33k-ohm 1/4 watt resistors should have been received, while pages 36 and 37 in the build instructions call for 33k-ohm 1/8 watt resistors.  Same on page 46 (high-current C4S boards).  Not sure which is correct or if I have installed the right resistors in each of these places (please see photos).  Note, the lone resistor being held by the third-hand tool is one of two I still have remaining.  Identification is doubly difficult, even with the aid of a magnifying lamp, since these resistors are so small.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

Joe.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:00:26 PM
Do you have a meter that can read resistance?  This is a reliable way to identify resistors. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:16:57 PM
33K 1/8W is the correct resistor type for all 33K resistors your application. The instructions on all three of those pages call out 33K 1/8W. And I bet they look just like the ones you received, as we have been using that same little peewee blue 33K resistor type since ForeplayIII days - maybe even original the Foreplay Sweet Whispers kit. The 1/4W reference in the part list is a typo. And honestly in our stuff any place an 1/8W is called out 1/4W resistors are pretty much interchangeable.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jtori

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:37:39 PM
Do you have a meter that can read resistance?  This is a reliable way to identify resistors.

Yes. And all the resistors shown in my images measure 33k ohms. They just look a bit different, so I was questioning whether what I have is 1/4 or 1/8 watt. However, Doc’s message obviates my concerns.

Offline jtori

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:44:41 PM
33K 1/8W is the correct resistor type for all 33K resistors your application. The instructions on all three of those pages call out 33K 1/8W. And I bet they look just like the ones you received, as we have been using that same little peewee blue 33K resistor type since ForeplayIII days - maybe even original the Foreplay Sweet Whispers kit. The 1/4W reference in the part list is a typo. And honestly in our stuff any place an 1/8W is called out 1/4W resistors are pretty much interchangeable.

Thanks, Doc. This helps. So, bottom line: Are the resistors, as I have shown them installed, correct?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59:48 AM
Yup.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jtori

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 10:18:26 AM
Thank you, Doc, Paul and Eileen for your support.  I was second, third and fourth guessing myself on the infinitesimally small resistors due to the slight color differences and my inability to accurately identify the markings.  I appreciate your responsiveness and patience.  Many businesses could take a lesson from Bottlehead in terms of customer experience.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Joe.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:49 AM
I was second, third and fourth guessing myself on the infinitesimally small resistors due to the slight color differences and my inability to accurately identify the markings.

Were you able to capture those images with your phone?  They are quite clear for being of such tiny little parts!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jtori

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:42:47 AM
Hi Paul,

Yes.  iPhone 11 Pro Plus, camera set on 2X and moved in as close as the camera would focus.  This may become my new way of ID'ing really small parts.

Best,

Joe.