help

abaloghtesla · 3348

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #45 on: September 04, 2020, 12:28:02 PM
Thanks OQUIN for the input, its well appreciated.

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #46 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:33 AM
Ok, I'mback again---I installed the Magi by SCHITT and it works great! It's leave it as it is,  or search for that elusive gain tbl.????? what do you say?

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #47 on: December 19, 2020, 05:38:54 AM
i haven't heard anything back from Paul joppa or Paul Birkeland. I hope they are ok.

Offline oguinn

Reply #48 on: December 19, 2020, 05:48:25 AM
What’s the question? If you should keep trying new things? If you like what you’re hearing keep what you have. Or tinker around. It’s personal preference.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #49 on: December 19, 2020, 06:13:52 AM
We're OK, PB has just been a little pre-occupied with getting the revised B-Pre out, and I've been puzzling over what you mean by "tbl.?????". I'm old, and often don't get the abbreviations used these days.  :^)

Nothing wrong with leaving it as is, other than having an extra box in the system. I'm very glad to hear it is working  for you now! If there's any possibility of  squeezing out enough gain without the Magni, we'll need to know what gain settings you are using  with it.

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #50 on: December 19, 2020, 07:34:26 AM
I"m glad I got every one's input. I just need to know one thing: Could I have possibly wired something wrong in the reduction 11 or st2 to give the low volume output, or there was no problem at all and it was my old ears failing at an exponential rate. Anyway, I'm content with the MAGI, and until I can come up with something new, I leave it as such. Thanks to everyone for all their help

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: December 19, 2020, 08:23:25 AM
I think the only remaining question is the last one I posted:

"... I suspect you may have switched the tone and balance potentiometers - that would explain the difference. We can check that further by just measuring the input resistance of the Stereomour with the tone control centered and at each extreme. I think this is worth pursuing, just to be sure the amp is working correctly. "

You can access the inputs most easily from the cable connecting the Magni to the Stereomour. Just pull the RCA hacks from the Magni, leaving them connected to the Stereomour. With the balance control centered, measure the resistance between the center pin and the outer shield of the jack, on both channels. Repeat for the balance control all the way clockwise, and again with it all the way counter-clockwise.

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #52 on: December 19, 2020, 12:21:09 PM
This is what I have, to the nearest whole number: center position of pot( left chan 51 k ohms), (right chan,50 k ohms)------------Pot turned all the way counterclockwise:( left chan 24.5 k ohms), (right chan 45.5 k ohms----------------pot turned all the clockwise:(left chan 45.5 k ohms:(right chan 24.5 k ohms

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: December 19, 2020, 01:22:19 PM
Excellent! Your controls are correctly wired and your Stereomour is functioning normally. Thanks for bearing with us through the complicated analysis; we'll do our best to learn from this exercise to prevent future issues.

Paul Joppa