Build so far...

rockdrummer · 3842

Offline rockdrummer

on: September 21, 2020, 03:07:13 AM
Hi everybody.  I'm just posting an update of my Moreplay so far.  I really enjoy build threads, so I thought I would post one!

I have stained and finished the base, and painted the bell. 

I did the same steps as my Stereomour 1 a few years ago, but did the ebony stain a bit lighter to see more woodgrain.  I kinda like that this time around.

Thanks for looking.
Ben

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:52:07 AM
Nice work. Keep the progress reports and photos coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to see and hear how other bottleheads tackle a build.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:27:57 AM
Very nice. Those pics really help to show why I chose alder for the bases. It can take just about any color stain and look good.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:38 PM
That base looks awesome! That wood grain really pops with the ebony stain!

I am very curious to see how your build turns out, as I have just placed an order for a Moreplay and will appreciate any building tips. Thanks for posting!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline Cary

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 08:06:24 AM
I have built many Bottlehead kits, the only advice that I can give is take your time and read the instructions before you start anything. I just finished painting the top plate to my Moreplay and will be assembling the base today.

Great looking base!!!

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:05:19 AM
Thanks for the comments.  It was really easy.  I do think I could have done a better job if you really look close at the quality of the finish.  Not as smooth as it could be.  But I love the stain.

ScottAstroNut, I would have to agree with Cary.  My advice is the same.  Follow directions carefully, read and re-read the steps. 

I have built the Quickie, added the constant current upgrade to it, and built the original Stereomour.  The directions are always clear and easy to follow.

Ben

Offline jtori

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 11:45:26 AM
Really nice job staining the base!  Looks outstanding!!  Anxious to see the finished build.

Best,

Joe.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 11:56:18 AM
Any chance anyone has advice on this question?

On page 24 of the manual, the solid core wire going from 34L to the IEC inlet says it attaches to tab L. But the picture looks like it attaches to Tab N.

Thanks.
Ben

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 12:03:16 PM
I assume it should say Tab N. Later the red wire attaches to tab L

Ben

Offline punderdown

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 05:45:14 AM
I went on the assumption that it attaches to N. I also found in that same step that there is no mention of soldering the wire to 34L, but nothing else appears to attach there so I went ahead and soldered it as it would be a little hard to access once things get attached to 34U.

Phil

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 12:56:24 PM
Me too. I am out of the house today but can’t wait to get home. I got far enough to test the tubes, and they both glow! 

Ben

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
Hello. 
Got my Moreplay up and running last night.  Sounds great so far.  I have tried it with the Stereomour I, and the Folsom 7297 chip amp.  Both sound great.  But I haven't been able to do much critical listening. 

I have read suggestions that having the volume up all the way on the stereomour when feeding it with a preamp is a safe way to go. I clearly don't know about electronic design because I'm afraid to crank it all the way up.  I guess I'm wrongly assuming that would be bad in the long run.  I suppose it must be like having any amp that doesn't have a volume control hooked up with a preamp.

Hope to have some good listening time in the next few days. 

Here are a couple pics and thanks for reading. 

Ben

Deke609

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 05:57:10 PM
Tell us about those red cables!

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:56 PM
They are Electra Cable. They sound pretty nice. A bit more open than my monster interconnects, I think.

Took me a while to like the bright color.
Ben

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 06:58:47 PM
Looks very nice!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.