Build so far...

rockdrummer · 3843

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 05:28:43 AM
Yes, turning the volume up all the way makes the Steremour behave more like a power amp with no level controls. 

Let us know how you like the pre!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 09:17:34 AM
Well done! The listening room looks like a nice space to get in touch with the music.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 06:01:10 AM
Hey.  There are a couple reasons I knew would be advantages to getting this preamp. 

1.  It has two outs for each R and L.  I use separate servo amps so I didn't need to use a splitter anymore to send signals to my mains and the sub amps. 

2.  I think my DIY chip amp had a very slight gain boost in the right channel.  Just enough that my center vocal and general volume seemed higher a little bit on the right channel.  Having a balance fixed that.

3.  Looking forward to planned upgrades in the future.

4.  It's nerdy, but I like having a base, metal chassis plate, a paintable bell cover, and just an overall pro looking unit.

Those things I knew I would benefit from before I used it.  Now that I have a few hours listening, a couple things come to mind.  I didn't use my Quickie with my Stereomour because the sound got too warm.  A little bloomy in a muddy way, I guess.  So if I wanted to use the stereomour I went straight out of my source, split that pre amped signal to get to the subs, which was always super high.  Then I would have to set the subs accordingly, and change volumes on 3 units if I wanted to adjust it.  2 sub channels and the main volume.  And when I wanted to change out the amp and use my Folsom, it was more than just 2 interconnects and 2 speaker cables. 

Now, the swap is easier, and the Moreplay isn't quite as overly full as the quickie was.  There's more space between instruments, which i really wanted, and I really do hear more subtlety in some pieces.  I've gone from full orchestra (Appalachian Spring) to small woodwind ensembles, (Mozart's Serenade for 13 winds, K361 3rd Mvt), Garth Brooks, John Fogerty with Brad Paisley, Dixie Chicks, Soul Asylum, and more.  A wide variety, to be sure.  I have made some other changes with sand filled speaker stands and longer speaker cables so I can bring the mains out into the room more.  But I'm confident I like the sound of this preamp better than the quickie.

I haven't heard anything that's too analytical or bright, which was something I wondered about.  My mains are Super Mini's from GR Research.  They are planar drivers.  I've heard some people describe very revealing and super detailed drivers as being too bright.  Very revealing of the rest of the gear in the line.  Using my Moreplay into a chip amp doesn't get like that, and I LOVE the sound of the Moreplay into the Stereomour.  My mains are about 91db efficient, so not necessarily a great match for the 3.5 watts in my stereomour.  But honestly, I never crank it anyway.  If I do, which is rare, I use my chip amp because it's about 12 watts a channel and that never gets out and gallops anyway.

Long story short, I have more listening to do to be able to give a really good review. (Not to mention I need room treatments.)  Which I may do in the future when I get more time in.  But I knew I needed some of the things offered in this preamp and I'm loving it more than i thought.

Plus, building it is enough of a reward.  Fun stuff.

Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:55:19 AM by rockdrummer »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 07:28:32 AM
Thanks Ben!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.