Distortion in the woofers

oguinn · 4597

Offline oguinn

on: March 19, 2021, 09:24:07 AM
Today in the right channel I started noticing some distortion in the woofers. At first I chalked it up to a scratched record but I noticed it happened on all inputs.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Removed the Kaiju, which would have normally driven the woofers, from the chain and drove with only the Stereomour II. The issue persisted.
  • Tried multiple inputs. Issue persisted

Here's what I plan to try next:
  • Once the BeePre tubes cool I plan to swap them. I anticipate this will not be the issue. (BeePre tube issue)
  • Swap the crossover boards to see if the problem follows the board. (passive crossover issue)
  • Swap the left and right cables to see if the issue follows the channel (BeePre construction issue/speaker issue)

Anything else I ought to try?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:36:53 AM
Updates as I get them. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Removed the Kaiju, which would have normally driven the woofers, from the chain and drove with only the Stereomour II. The issue persisted.
  • Tried multiple inputs. Issue persisted
  • Swap the left and right cables to see if the issue follows the channel. It didn't. That, in my mind, eliminates the BeePre, the cables, and the tubes.

Here's what I plan to try next:
  • Once the BeePre tubes cool I plan to swap them. I anticipate this will not be the issue. (BeePre tube issue)
  • Swap the crossover boards to see if the problem follows the board. (passive crossover issue)

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:50:15 AM
Swapped the crossover boards. Initially no change: distortion and weak output from the right channel. However, after a few seconds the sound kicked in fully without distortion.

This to me sounds like a loose connection inside the cabinet, which sucks since that means I have a new project. I'll wait until it acts up again.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 09:50:42 AM
When I have run into this with my Jagers, it has always been a loose banana plug (a loose set screw, not the connector itself).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:08 AM
I'm satisfied by that explanation for now. Saves me from light surgery.

Thanks, Paul.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
Ditto, and when it happened to me it was at a banana plug in a binding post on the cabinet. Time for me to serve up my rant about cleaning all the connectors in your system once a year.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 03:10:09 PM
I too had some "distortion"  in the woofers.  The quick disconnects fit very loosely on the terminals of the woofers.  I crimped them tighter on the terminals and the distortion went away.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers