Terminology and high sensitivity speakers

Chris H · 993

Offline Chris H

on: September 02, 2021, 12:50:34 AM
I recently started reading up on high sensitivity speakers - what's available and what may be possible down the self-build route.

Anyway, I kept coming across an acronym being used regularly alongside other technical terms but had no idea what it meant.
I felt a little foolish when I finally looked up WAF but it did make me laugh!  Every reference to it made perfect sense.

I was already aware of "Wife Acceptance Factor" but had never before noticed how often WAF is discussed in the same breath as power, sensitivity and other technical abbreviations.

A few questions;
1. In the interests of equality shouldn't WAF be replaced with the more up-to-date Spouse Acceptance Factor ("SAF")?
2. Does anybody know the appropriate unit of measurement for WAF/SAF? I was thinking it should be measured in EYs (eye-rolls) but this would seem to be the inverse of SAF, i.e. High EYs is an indication of low WAF/SAF.
3. Anyone got examples of hifi gear with even lower WAF/SAF than the Kleinhorn (pictured) - though I am pretty sure these are sensitive enough for low powered SET amps.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 05:56:30 AM
Ha!  There's probably an equation for it somewhere:  WAF &or SAF is inversely proportioned to the size of the horn on the speaker plus the length of exposed speaker wire and multiplied by the room factor (if the room you are trying to move the horns into is a common area or displaces a console/china cabinet, the factor is X100, if it's a garage or hidden dungeon that no one enters it's X0.1)

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 07:49:50 AM
I think this can be simplified, If one would like to build something along those lines there are only 2 choices.
Choice A is if you are married you need a divorce.
Choice B if you have a domestic partner, to be sensitive, you can ditch them easier than a W word.
Life is to short to worry about someone else's happiness.
So be happy.

Lee R.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 07:51:04 AM
I think Alonzo has captured many of the important factors that go into the WAF/SAF formula. There is one, at least in my home, that seems to only apply if the receipts are discovered: The WAF/SAF is inversely proportional to the cost.
This can of course be partially offset by flowers (minor offset), jewelry (major offset if it includes faceted stones) and the completion of items on 'the list' (variable. ie, did it take longer than the speaker/equipment build?)
Removal of the popcorn ceiling, application of a couple cork walls, total remodel of the vanity area, installation of new flooring/carpet, and fresh paint in our 'master suite' seems have bought very high WAF/SAF of my little project recently detailed in the S3X category (Sex for 1 and sometimes 2). A small price to pay...
Karl   

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:26:39 AM
Yup guys who worry about WAF probably need to think more about what their wife deserves. My son got married this weekend. In his vows he promised is wife Taylor a house plant for every Lego kit he bought.

And then of course there is the old adage that applies to everything from amps to guitars to motorcycles - after you buy the fourth one she stops noticing the new ones.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 07:21:27 AM
Yeah, you just have to take the heat for the first four.

Lee R.

Offline Chris H

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 10:02:34 AM
I built a cabin at the end of our garden.  Installed some large mirrors and called it a yoga studio.
The fact that it now has a 4k projector, 10 ft screen and 5.1.2 Atmos surround has not gone unnoticed.
I think the tipping point was when I fixed a bottle opener to the wall.
I did try though.

Congrats to Doc and family on your son's nuptials.  Hope Bonneville was good.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:04:43 AM by Chris H »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:45:47 AM
Thanks! Bonneville was good even though it sucked. Truck broke on the way. Then five days on the salt trying to get the bike to run above 6K rpm. Even my DSLR broke so not many pics. Bike problem seems to be some issue with one of the new carbs. Post mortem will probably begin this weekend.

The wedding was great fun, even though it rained during the ceremony and during the dinner. There's more pics of both events on our IG -

https://www.instagram.com/bottleheadaudio/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 02:40:25 AM
Sorry Utah was a bust, I read that the salt was good. It'll be waiting for you next year.
Karl
Ps. The bike looks fast, even sitting still.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77