Sex 3.0 C4S upgrade

joralieu · 1725

Offline joralieu

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 06:08:30 AM
No, the only other kit I have is a crack that I haven't started yet.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 06:15:07 AM
If there's a Speedball with that Crack, it would have that same small board included.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline QueenBottlehead

• Administrator
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 07:16:01 AM
Hi Joe, I am happy to send you a PayPal invoice for the parts you need for the second board. They are so skinny that I must have packed two in the little baggie by mistake. I will be back in the office on Monday. I am happy that you made good progress with your build. Happy Listening! ~Eileen

Offline joralieu

Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 02:44:56 PM
Thanks so much for the stellar customer service. I have a question about  the crack I am about to build. I like the look of the bare top plate and transformer bell, should I clear coat them and with what?
Thanks
Joe

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 03:38:31 PM
It's a very good idea to paint the transformer cover and the actual metal stack of the transformer itself too.  I take painter's tape and wrap a loop around the terminals so they don't get painted, then spray the transformer with black nitro lacquer.  I would get a recognizable brand and avoid stuff like the Ace Hardware brand.

For the cover, I find it works well to clean it with steel wool and alcohol, then clear coat or also spray it with the black lacquer. 

The chassis plate will look the way it does for a long, long time.  When I get old brushed kits back, typically the aluminum is just dirty more than anything. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline joralieu

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 03:56:01 PM
What is black nitro?

Offline kgoss

Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 04:28:51 AM
Nitrocellulose lacquer. 
I have used and like the Mohawk brand which I get from Klingspor's Woodworking Shop.

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 05:35:39 AM
What is black nitro?

If you go to the hardware store and there's a spray can that says "lacquer" on it but doesn't say "polyurethane" or "acrylic" on it, you're good to go.

Paul "PB" Birkeland