Please help: High resistance readings on large board for speedball [resolved]

CuriousMister · 1267

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
That looks a lot more like a working set of voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline CuriousMister

I really hoped I was done based on the last post.  When I plugged in my headphones last week, the left channel was much lower in volume than the right - significantly.  That wasn’t there pre-large board.  It isn’t the slight channel imbalance that’s all over the forum either.  After looking at the forum for suggestions, I reflowed all the joints in the crack and fired it back up (since that seems to be most logical problem).  The same channel issue is still persisting.  All LEDs lit back up and my large board readings are now OA: 126, OB:116, G: 0.3, and B+: 189.

Also, I’ve done a fair amount of reflowing and wicking over the course of build too.  When I didn’t know I had overheated at least one LED on the large board, that’s how I went about trouble shooting.  Could I have damaged something?  Or, what else would you suggest trying?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Put the 3K resistors in and e-mail replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com to get a new big board and parts.

The LEDs don't need much heat to be soldered fully, as they are small and don't really absorb much heat.  The transistors and resistors need to be soldered till the solder sucks into the PC board and flows to the other side.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline CuriousMister

A new large board and parts did the trick. Thanks Paul! 

I am months late in my reply because I just can’t stop enjoying the crack. It sounds amazing.  I’ve already started experimenting with different tubes and can see why people love to do it. Also, I have almost stopped listening to my solid state amp completely. Tubes are for me and for life. They’ll be another build in my future for sure.

This experience has been amazing for someone with no soldering skills at the beginning. Thanks for providing great instructions, helpful advice, and for cultivating a truly one-of-a-kind online community.