Right channel noisy. Help troubleshooting

denti alligator · 10453

Offline denti alligator

Reply #180 on: March 03, 2022, 08:10:13 AM
Great, thanks. I’ve remounted the transformers. I’ll wire them standard first and check, then try swapping the blue wire.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #181 on: March 03, 2022, 09:30:10 AM
We have the source of the noise!! It’s the transformer! I swapped them L/R and indeed the noise went from the R channel to the L channel. Phew!

Doc, can I get a replacement from you guys? I am happy to pay for it.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #182 on: March 03, 2022, 09:47:08 AM
Best bet is to do this thru the [email protected] email. We can certainly replace the noisy transformer but I'm not sure what the stock situation is on that part as I sit here. Transformers have been one of our biggest hangups supply-wise and Eileen can check inventory status and let you know via that email.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #183 on: March 03, 2022, 09:55:13 AM
I’m assuming I need the plate chokes, too? Do they come as a pair?

- Sam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #184 on: March 03, 2022, 11:36:29 AM
I don't see any reason to replace the plate choke if the output transformer is the part that the noise followed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #185 on: March 03, 2022, 11:49:36 AM
Sorry, my bad. I replaced swopped both parts. I just assumed they went together. So actually, I don’t know for sure if it’s the transformer or plate choke that is causing the noise. Is there a way to tell without stopping one part back?

- Sam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #186 on: March 03, 2022, 12:15:11 PM
Not that I can think of. Always change one thing at a time.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #187 on: March 03, 2022, 12:18:23 PM
Alright, back to the bench!

- Sam

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #188 on: March 03, 2022, 12:20:51 PM
Perhaps just disconnect the choke inputs and outputs and temporarily extend the wires to put the chokes back to their original sides. This is not foolproof but may be telling.
Scientific method states only one variable change at a time.

Lee R.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #189 on: March 03, 2022, 01:22:25 PM
Not that I can think of. Always change one thing at a time.
Swapping the blue wires will swap plate chokes and power supply filters - but the output transformer exchange you just did says it isn't the power supply, so that's an OK way to test the chokes.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #190 on: March 03, 2022, 02:08:29 PM
That was a PITA, but it’s done and a good thing, too. So it’s NOT the transformer but the plate choke that is causing the noise. Swapping chokes moved the noise back to the right channel. Any idea what might have caused this part to fail?

- Sam

Offline triode

Reply #191 on: March 04, 2022, 11:10:16 PM
Following this thread with great interest
My Stereomour (I) also making noise as described here; also only right channel
Maybe I'll try to swap the B+ connection to plate choke (red wire in my case since its configure for 45 tube)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #192 on: March 05, 2022, 07:53:47 AM
I think you will probably be disappointed. This case is way an outlier. We have not ever had another noisy plate choke that I can recall. So it seems unlikely that lightning will strike twice in the same spot. Best to check the more likely culprits like bad solder joints first. Once the more likely things like tubes, solder joints, pin contacts, resistors and capacitors have been eliminated you could move on to more unlikely causes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline triode

Reply #193 on: March 05, 2022, 01:24:16 PM
Maybe Doc,
But this noise problem had going for a while and I have tried and eliminate the usual suspect : tubes, speaker, reflow soldier joint etc.
Since this check only involve swapping 2 wires, I might try it anyway.

I'll report back

Thanks

Offline triode

Reply #194 on: March 11, 2022, 10:18:13 AM
Hi

I swapped the choke by swapping the blue wires connected to 4pin socket from left to right.
The result : noise is moved from right to left. I think the choke has some problem.

I guess I will need to order replacement