Near Field, Desktop Speaker Listening w/ a SEX

Lazlo_Hollyfeld · 6609

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

on: January 28, 2022, 10:22:14 AM
I’m awaiting for my first kit to arrive (the S.E.X.), and plan to use it as a desktop amplifier… but I need to pair it with some speakers well suited for jazz and with a tiny footprint … suggestions?

Desktop: Pine Tree cables > modi+ > S.E.X. > Omega BAMs | Main: Bluesound Node / Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > Rogue RP-1 > First Watt J2 > Zu Dirty Weekend Six Supremes

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:26:32 AM
If you want diy speaker kit try Parts Express "Midnight Sensations"
'

Lee R.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:44:51 AM
Blumenstein Orcas

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:31:24 AM
If you want diy speaker kit try Parts Express "Midnight Sensations"
'
I think you mean "Overnight Sensations."

https://www.parts-express.com/Overnight-Sensations-MT-Speaker-Pair-Kit-300-706

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 11:33:27 AM
Yes you are correct, I lost my mind and can't find it. Don't get old.

Lee R.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 11:49:27 AM
Yes you are correct, I lost my mind and can't find it. Don't get old.

Too late, I'm already old.  ;)

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 05:51:50 PM
Blumenstein Orcas

Awesome recommendation … really intriguing and gorgeous set. I assume you’ve listened to them?

Desktop: Pine Tree cables > modi+ > S.E.X. > Omega BAMs | Main: Bluesound Node / Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > Rogue RP-1 > First Watt J2 > Zu Dirty Weekend Six Supremes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 08:19:14 PM
I've owned four pair. I was listening to a pair as the surround speakers in my home theater tonight. They are very special. Near field is their forte.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 04:43:21 AM
I second the Orca suggestion - have used them on my desktop with a sex for years. I also like the fibhorn 2 with the fostex sol driver. The fibhorn 2b looks interesting too. I bought a decware tiny radial kit but haven't finished it yet. Madisound has some speaker kits and the Mark Audio Tozzi kit has always interested me....

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 06:44:32 AM
Awesome recommendation … really intriguing and gorgeous set. I assume you’ve listened to them?

Yeah, they’re great. I use them in my dining room system now since I bought Jagers for the main system, but they’re really nice speakers. Clark is a nice dude, too, really helpful and willing to chat if you need help deciding.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 06:54:50 AM
Thanks for the advice folks! I think I’m leaning toward the orcas. Here’s to the amp kit shipping sooner than later!

Offline Cary

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 11:49:29 AM
I am currently using a pair of Braun L200 speakers with my SEX 2.1 on a desktop system.

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 03:46:27 PM
I am currently using a pair of Braun L200 speakers with my SEX 2.1 on a desktop system.

What didn’t Braun make?

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 11:49:01 AM
Has anyone heard the Lii Audio Raindrop-3? I know their larger drivers and cabinet designs are well loved.

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/complete-speakers-in-pair-3-inch-metal-full-range-warm-sound-and-deep-bass-raindrop-3/

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 12:40:05 PM
4 ohm impedance, 85dB/1W sensitivity, and high resonance make those something that might be worth passing on.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man