Another completed Moreplay!

Lowercase · 1262

Offline Lowercase

on: April 19, 2022, 01:12:50 PM
Really enjoyed putting together this kit, super detailed instructions and all testing was spot on first go. I’ve had it running for a couple weeks now and it sounds just incredible, props to the design team! Looking forward to those future upgrade(s) too!

I have one question though. Getting a bit of an electronics/warm plastics smell when on, appears a minute or so after startup. Seems to be somewhat lessening now, but still noticeable. I’m assuming a wire might be near a particular hot resistor, any particular one(s) to give extra breathing room maybe? My build looks identical to the final build photo in the manual, wires under and over where they should be and nothing directly touching.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:33:00 PM
Unless you have weird voltages or see something discolored from heat it's probably just fine. The best way to sniff out what is making the smell is to let it heat up, turn it off and unplug it, wait about 30 seconds and flip it over, then literally sniff around the circuit to figure out what is getting warm and off-gassing. Or you could use an IR thermometer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 02:48:29 PM
You could also be smelling residue from packing materials cooking off the glass of the tubes themselves.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 02:48:14 AM
Odd smell aside, that is one fine looking build.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 06:19:20 AM
I have to say that you did a very good job of detailing that Moreplay. It looks amazing!
My only thought is perhaps the odor is coming from the finish as it fully cures.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Lowercase

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 06:37:22 AM
Unless you have weird voltages or see something discolored from heat it's probably just fine. The best way to sniff out what is making the smell is to let it heat up, turn it off and unplug it, wait about 30 seconds and flip it over, then literally sniff around the circuit to figure out what is getting warm and off-gassing. Or you could use an IR thermometer.

Nothing burned or discolored! I did give the sniff test a go and couldn’t directly locate anything. Will just keep an eye or nose on it!

Offline Lowercase

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 06:38:31 AM
You could also be smelling residue from packing materials cooking off the glass of the tubes themselves.

That was strangely my first thought, something on the tubes, so I wiped them down with some water and a little dish soap. Nice and shiny and clean, but still the odor persisted!

Offline Lowercase

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 06:42:52 AM
Odd smell aside, that is one fine looking build.
Karl

Thanks! It was a tough call whether or not to keep it unpainted. The new finish on the top plates straight from the box looks really good!

Offline Lowercase

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 06:45:04 AM
I have to say that you did a very good job of detailing that Moreplay. It looks amazing!
My only thought is perhaps the odor is coming from the finish as it fully cures.

Thank you! I let everything dry and cure pretty thoroughly before beginning assembly, but it could be it. The smell is starting to dissipate, but it appears and disappears pretty quickly after turn on/turnoff. Which made me think maybe one of the wires/component was getting a bit warm. 

Offline lms

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 11:20:09 AM
I just completed my build, have not hooked it to my rig, and mine smells as well. I rechecked everything, all seems okay. I let it idle for an hour, smell lightened up. I'm not too worried about it.

Offline Deluk

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 12:42:46 AM
Could just be the flux residue?

Offline Lowercase

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 01:35:22 PM
Maybe? My smell has slowly disappeared the more I use it. So could just be components or tubes burning residue off.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 01:47:42 PM
What kind of flux did you use?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man