Left channel is out [resolved]

Skipperrik · 2903

Offline Skipperrik

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 09:34:22 AM
I swapped the boards and the problem followed the board.

Is it possible for Eileen to send me some wire? A couple of pieces broke and are too short. I had to substitute some CAT6 wire. It's a little thin and I would not want to keep it in the circuit.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 10:18:07 AM
If it followed the board, then I would double check that no two legs of any transistors show continuity and that there aren't any solder bridges or poor joints.

You can certainly e-mail replacementparts(at)bottlehead(dot)com and ask for a couple feet of red, black, and white teflon wire so you can replace what's broken. 

If you are unable to find any shorts on that high current C4S board, then you could also just purchase a replacement board and parts to remedy the issue.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Skipperrik

Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 10:26:17 AM
Okay, thanks for your help so far. I'll run the checks and let you know what I find.

Offline Skipperrik

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 01:50:20 PM
The transistors checked out fine, the resistors were fine, there were no bad joints or solder bridges. I was just about to order a new board but decided to check one more thing. I replaced the LED and that was the problem! All of the LEDs lit up and all of the voltages are within spec.

Boy, what a relief! I wasn't looking forward to replacing the whole board.

I want to thank you for the help you've been. Your troubleshooting assistance is a great service that you and Bottlehead offer. I would have been pulling my hair out for days without it. It's very much appreciated!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 03:28:42 PM
That is really odd that the LED itself ended up not working.  Most often when I see crazy problems like that and one dim LED, I tend to find the smaller of the two transistors on that C4S section is shorted out, but I guess anything is possible!  I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man