my crack has lost its 'character'

toby.purnell · 958

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2022, 03:04:55 PM
If 3 to 7 and 3 to 9 measure 2.96K but 12 to 7 and 12 to 9 do not, then you have a bad solder joint on one (or more) of the black wires from 12 to terminal 3.  This is an exceptionally common problem that will make your amp sound bad and can cause some voltage issues as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Drew1d

• Guitar amp hobbyist
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 05:48:32 PM
If I was smarter...  I wonder if there is a way to record headphones in a mic.  I have a Scarlet interface and a SM57 and 58.  Like, play the same piece of music through each channel and record.  Just to have a baseline, so when you make a change you can record again and listen.  Take a picture of all the dials on all the equipment. 

The recording wouldn't be representational or what you are hearing, but the differences of future recordings and the original would at least tell you if you are succumbing to madness.   If you're not already insane for doing all this in the first place.

So if the original and the changed, sound the same, then you changed, not the device.  I don't tend to remember the exact sound anyways, just how it made me feel at the time.  And I didn't do this experiment.  But it does make me wonder. 

Even if you did all that work, and you discovered there was a change, or no change.  Probably, You'd still want to change it to get something more...  that's probably why you did the Speedball in the first place.  And Bro, trust me, I feel ya.   For me, the Crack was such a revelation, that I wanted to take it farther.

I would suggest listening to another device on headphones, then the Crack, then figuring out what exactly you want.  More Bass?  More Treble?  Definition/Clarity?  Midrange warmth?  What would really ring your bell, and then ask how to attack that specific question.

Drew Peterson from Westchester