Crack-a-two-a with custom end bell

Bourney · 3118

Offline Bourney

on: August 21, 2022, 03:36:54 PM
The Crack-a-two-a is my third Bottlehead build.

I built the S.E.X. with C4S standard and the Mainline standard but with big caps.

For the Crack-a-two-a I thought I'd have a go at some minor modifications:
- custom chassis plate with single undermount inputs, undermount 4 PIN XLR (wired as TRS), all-in-one IEC/fuse/switch
- custom end bell machined from 10mm aluminium plate in 3 pieces with nylon spacers for ventilation and a recess for the Bottlehead badge. Requires a 3 inch 8-32 unc bolt. I chose a stainless socket cap. I had considered using one of those full enclosures but was unsure about heat. I can say that this version barely gets warm even after extended listening, despite being close to the 6AS7GA which puts out some heat.
- Goldpoint V47 with Spinal Tap "goes up to 11" volume index

I'm happy with how it turned out and how it sounds though I've only tried it with HD650 so far. Time to invest is something like HD800s or some ZMF.

I'm keen to build another Mainline with similar treatment but go a bit further by undermounting the tubes and eliminating the visible screws. If anyone has done something like that please share.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 08:17:37 PM by Bourney »

Offline sl-15

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 03:56:31 PM
Wow, this is a nice looking one! Very unique and coherent design. What is the finish on the top plate please, it looks great.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Bourney

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 04:11:53 PM
Wow, this is a nice looking one! Very unique and coherent design. What is the finish on the top plate please, it looks great.

Thanks sl-15. It's an anodised finish, called 'Natural', its a matte silver.

Offline larcenasb

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 06:27:05 PM
Love that it goes to 11! Haha, and a very beautiful and clean look. Congrats and enjoy! :)

Lowell B.

Offline larcenasb

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 05:38:43 AM
I've actually come back just to look at and admire this build. Seriously, great job and congrats. I hope you love the sound. This build is so clean, I feel like this is what Patrick Bateman's build would look like, especially with that top plate in bone, haha.

Lowell B.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 12:01:55 AM
Another one adding praise for a wonderful looking design. Those RCA sockets look neat too. What brand are they?

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:20:50 AM
Very nice indeed. The transformer looks even better than the can covered ones, IMO.
I have had a couple of custom top plates made with studs attached to the bottom to eliminate many of the screws - happy with the cleaner look. I've never tried under mounting tubes, but it looks like you have a handle on the software, I'm sure you'll work it out. Looking forward to pics of a maxed out Mainline incorporating the above. What about adding custom graphics? (I never mind spending someone else's money)
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Bourney

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 03:59:26 PM
I've actually come back just to look at and admire this build. Seriously, great job and congrats. I hope you love the sound. This build is so clean, I feel like this is what Patrick Bateman's build would look like, especially with that top plate in bone, haha.

Thanks larcenasb, I had to Google Patrick Bateman as I didn't remember the character name - but as soon as I saw the answer I got the reference!

Offline Bourney

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 04:08:16 PM
Another one adding praise for a wonderful looking design. Those RCA sockets look neat too. What brand are they?

Thanks.

The socket housings are from Neutrik model NF2D. I swapped out the actual RCA sockets for some WBT items I had from another project. (WBT-0210 Cu RCA). Too pricey and I doubt I can hear any difference, but nice to solder and use. Had to drill out the Neutrik housings very slightly using a step drill bit, but the material is fairly soft and it is easy to achieve a neat job.

Offline Bourney

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 04:11:27 PM
Very nice indeed. The transformer looks even better than the can covered ones, IMO.
I have had a couple of custom top plates made with studs attached to the bottom to eliminate many of the screws - happy with the cleaner look. I've never tried under mounting tubes, but it looks like you have a handle on the software, I'm sure you'll work it out. Looking forward to pics of a maxed out Mainline incorporating the above. What about adding custom graphics? (I never mind spending someone else's money)
Karl
Thanks Karl. I was thinking to use the studs, glad to hear you've been there and are happy with the result, I'll give it a go. Yes, I'm keen on adding some graphics/script to the next project, let's see how I go.

Offline larcenasb

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 04:43:30 AM
Really looking forward to seeing your future builds, Bourney!

Lowell B.