Stereomour II with Moreplay or by itself

rockdoc · 3686

Offline rockdoc

on: September 23, 2022, 05:25:02 PM
I'm looking at this amp, and wondering, with the attenuators, what would I gain by adding the Moreplay?

Steve T

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:55:26 PM
Not related to the Moreplay.

But I've found a significant gain in dynamics and presentation from my SII with a preamp in front.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 11:02:00 PM
I've heard exactly the same , with other amps. Curious to hear other peoples experiences.

Offline mpeg2

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 03:56:30 AM
Although it was with the previous generation of products - that's exactly what I found when I added a Smash preamp to a Stereomour.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:38 PM
so, assuming I build a Stereomour II and a Moreplay, why have two sets of volume/balance controls and two selectors in the lineup? Could the Moreplay have the stepped attenuators and selector pots, and eliminate them from the Stereomour II? I'm sure the combo as is sounds great, and is most likely my next project, but just wondering about the redundancy...  Steve T
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:44:30 PM by rockdoc »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 05:04:05 PM
A stepped attenuator upgrade is planned for the Moreplay.  For the Stereomour, the SR driver and DC filament supply would still be very worthwhile upgrades.  You can just leave the volume control turned all the way up on the Stereomour to mate it to the Moreplay.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdoc

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 05:17:46 PM
Thanks Paul! So, my thought is this- Moreplay with the stepped upgrade (later on) and Stereomour with just the resistor representing "turned all the way up" in the circuit rather than the whole stepped attenuator setups or volume pots and balance control....  I just like doing away with any redundancy when possible...   Steve T
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:49:27 PM by rockdoc »

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 02:54:44 AM
I also have the Moreplay mated with my Stereomour II and I like the combination

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 03:50:27 AM
With the stepped attenuators, you do lose the balance control. So if you have both, you can retain the balance control on the Stereomour and implement the stepped attenuators on the Moreplay - or vice-versa.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 03:54:42 AM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline rockdoc

Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 01:34:40 PM
Thanks again Paul! "For the Stereomour, the SR driver and DC filament supply would still be very worthwhile upgrades" - that's my plan, and then stepped on the Moreplay..... 

Steve T

Offline rockdoc

Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 08:44:33 AM
A stepped attenuator upgrade is planned for the Moreplay.  For the Stereomour, the SR driver and DC filament supply would still be very worthwhile upgrades.  You can just leave the volume control turned all the way up on the Stereomour to mate it to the Moreplay.

Paul, how much sonic improvement is there with the DC supply on not super efficient speakers?

Steve Tag

Offline rockdoc

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 08:50:17 AM
With the stepped attenuators, you do lose the balance control. So if you have both, you can retain the balance control on the Stereomour and implement the stepped attenuators on the Moreplay - or vice-versa.

Paul, when do you expect to offer stepped attenuators on Moreplay? and, will it be similar to the upgrade on Stereomour; rough and fine knobs, no balance?

Steve Tag
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:56:38 AM by rockdoc »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 09:09:52 AM
The Moreplay attenuator upgrade will shed the balance control.  The DC filament upgrade for the Stereomour isn't super useful if you don't hear any hum from the stock amp through your speakers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Tom-s

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 07:52:06 PM
Any idea on when the Moreplay’s Sweetest Whispers attenuator upgrade will follow?
I’m also postponing my Moreplay purchase for this release. Is this upgrade planned for this year?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:55:03 PM by Tom-s »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 05:47:44 AM
We have one project in front of it at the moment that's somewhat urgent. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland