Speaker Suggestions for SeX 3.0?

Necplur · 2642

Offline Necplur

on: January 19, 2023, 12:59:49 PM
My Google-fu is failing me.  Not finding a good list of really high sensitivity speakers (I'm assuming I'll want something near 100dB for the SeX?)

What are some suggestions for bookshelfs for this amp?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 01:21:36 PM
How large is your room and what do you listen to?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Necplur

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 01:43:16 AM
If I had to guess, 12' x 12'.  I listen at my desk, chair pushed back.  I listen to mostly classical, especially baroque with lots of choral/vocal works included (cantatas, masses, oratorios, Bach's passions, etc.)

I love my current speakers, so I'm not itching to buy new ones.  But interested in what 4w from the SEX can do... and concerned about the low sensitivity.  These are year 2000-ish Paradigm Studio/20's v2 (with wood veneer, beautiful! matching Studio/80 fronts and a center; Her Ladyship did not approve of these being rears for a home theater setup, so I repurposed them for my office.)  Best I can discern, from 19 year-old online reviews for the v3, is that these should be 90dB(room)/87dB(anechoic) sensitive.

Positioning is not ideal. A compromise, to be sure.

Offline AllenS

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 02:29:18 AM
FWIW I have a small pair of Overnight Sensations which I use for nearfield and it's too loud way before the drivers start thumping. No idea what the efficiency rating of my particular configuration is but just to give a sense there is more there then is needed for my 10x12.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 03:13:06 AM
I use an old pair of Paradigm Atoms and they run nicely with my S3X. I also have Overnight Sensations that are good also.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 05:29:32 AM
The Overnight sensation is rated 83dB; the Atom is 89dB. So the Studio 20 (spec 89dB, Stereophile measured 86.5dB) might do the job. I use my S.E.X 2.0 with some old 89dB-rated JBLs for video, in a small room with no issues. So your old speakers might work quite well in your application. (Admittedly, I don't attempt to listen at theater levels!)

The S.E.X. puts out 2 watts per channel, and I estimate wants 99dB speakers for a typical living room to satisfy "most audiophiles most of the time," but that includes large symphonic music, heavy metal rock etc. With your music, in a small room, and apparently in the near field, you need much less than that.

Paul Joppa

Offline Happy Ghost

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 07:25:51 AM
I use a pair of Overnight Sensations MTM version. It has a bit higher sensitivity (at least on paper) 89db - 2.83v/1m and the impedance is only 6 ohm. It pairs well (I think) with S3X wired at 4 ohms. Plus u get to stroke your DIY habits more by building the speaker kit :)

See here for more details: https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-audio-speaker-kits/home-audio-type/home-audio-multi-woofer/overnight-sensations-mtm.html#:~:text=Overall%20I'm%20very%20impressed,blend%20with%20the%20sub%20better.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:27:49 AM by Happy Ghost »

Atul

Offline ccmccull

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 07:18:12 PM
For even more confirmation of SeX working with low sensitivity speakers in a small room (with subs though), take a look at my embarrassingly glowing review here:

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13966.0

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline jufelling

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 09:30:40 PM

Offline pct2012

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 09:31:35 PM
I love my Blumenstein Ultra Fi Marlins!

Offline Lazlo_Hollyfeld

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 03:53:58 AM
I use Blumenstein Orcas for desktop listening and love them.  That said, I just ordered a set of Omega Baby Alinco Monitors (BAMs) to change things up (the Orcas will move to my office).  They can fill the room no problem, but I would want to add a sub if I was to listen that way routinely.

Desktop: Pine Tree cables > modi+ > S.E.X. > Omega BAMs | Main: Bluesound Node / Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > Rogue RP-1 > First Watt J2 > Zu Dirty Weekend Six Supremes

Offline mrclassicman

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 05:09:57 PM
I'm a little late to the party but I have had very good experience with Klipsch speakers or  Electro Voice. speakers. Both range in 93-97 db efficiency. The EV's would have to be vintage, but there are numerous choices and their sonic traits are well documented with some internet searches. With Klipsch avoid the home theater versions and select the Reference series. Always shoot for the largest range as they will yield the fullest sound. Just my two cents worth.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 06:19:43 AM
I have been working on a project for the past couple of weeks with a Poulsbo neighbor. Matt Jabloner is a very talented engineer and wood worker with a marvelous CNC router and mad programming skills. He came by recently with a sweet sounding smaller (30" tall) kit speaker prototype. I was particularly chuffed when he quickly whipped out some solid alder front baffles to try out on the khaya plywood cabinets. I will share more as appropriate while we continue to develop this idea.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.