Moreplay add ons - were there still any upgrades planned?

twofires · 1931

Offline twofires

Quick question - I understand Bottlehead as a business is in a different place to when the possibility of Moreplay upgrades was first mentioned, but would you say these are still in the pipeline, or shelved, or other?

No stress either way, just curious.

Simon N

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 04:54:32 AM
In the pipeline.  My first couple of attempts at the "simple version" of the upgrade didn't work satisfactorily, so I will be adding some additional complication to the next round of mods.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline twofires

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 05:40:30 AM
Ah, excellent. I look forward to seeing what you cook up.

Simon N

Offline Lowercase

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 09:40:26 AM
Any hints to what the upgrades may be? I assume a stepped volume control, but curious if anything unexpected is expected? :)

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 04:00:42 PM
Now that I’ve ordered a Moreplay, I’m also curious what the upgrades will look like.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline FS

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 07:17:44 AM
Bumping up this thread in hope of some update on the hinted-at but so far elusive upgrades to the Moreplay...I am planning to start that build soon and I am wondering what's in the works in the Bottlehead foundry... :)
Are there any plans for something similar to the "SmashQuiet attenuator upgrade"? As always, I appreciate you guys for offering improvements on existing products.
Thanks.
FS

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 08:48:33 AM
Yes there are improvements on the drawing board. They just need to be prototyped, listened to, revised as needed and the installation process devised. Then we can write/photograph the manual(s) and order parts for the first batch production run. Product development is an ongoing activity.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 01:42:04 PM
I did a bunch of corrections today on a prior design and ordered up a fresh board to slog through prototyping on the upgrade we have in mind. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline twofires

Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 01:41:36 PM
I saw some suggestion on the BH Instagram that this might have reached early testing, with good results?

I'll be interested to see what you've cooked up.  ;D

Simon N

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 04:22:27 PM
I have one small alteration to make and we are tentatively planning on a manual photo shoot next month, but what I have here is working as intended.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline twofires

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 05:45:48 PM
Hooray! Nice work.

Simon N

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 01:06:10 PM
Here's a little teaser pic of what we have been working on for the upcoming Moreplay upgrade.  With the current BeePre2 and Moreplay, there's much to be gained by going to a constant current source load on the primary voltage gain triode, as the loading is quite low to begin with and the plate load and volume pot are in parallel with each other and both acting as loads simultaneously.  By swapping out the stock plate load resistors with a C4S, one of those loads almost entirely goes away, and the 6V6 operates much more happily.  In looking at before and after shots of the distortion spectrum, the second harmonic pretty much stays as-is, but the higher order nasties disappear.   

The C4S loads get fed by a solid state shunt regulator that's somewhat similar to what's used in our Integration upgrade for the Seduction.  This helps to isolate the power supply from carrying signal current and keeps the power supply noise out of the signal path. 

The back half of this large upgrade board houses a low voltage DC supply that feeds two individual 1085 regulators to feed super quiet DC to each 6V6, which reduces the 60Hz noise that was somewhat present in the stock circuit. 

Up front I have designed a PC board that holds the standard Alps balance and Alps volume pot.  The commonly available parts have slightly different shaft lengths, but by mounting them on a sub plate below the chassis, we are able to negate that issue up top and the knobs fit back on evenly.  The Alps balance pot has zero insertion loss compared to the stock balance pot setup, and this further assists the signal to noise ratio of the preamp.  There is also a center detent, so there's no need to fiddle with adjusting the knob up top to get it pointed just right for even channel balance.  The Alps volume pot is very well regarded and offers a nice improvement in channel balance and clarity. 

Ultimately when collecting data and running the numbers on how to make our typical coarse/fine attenuator work with this specific circuit, the Alps pot ended up making a whole lot more sense compared to the tradeoffs we were looking at otherwise. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Karl5150

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 02:24:07 AM
Looks very cool - I like the idea of an upgrade to the stock pots that retains the balance function.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 06:42:23 AM
And now next month is this month. I am writing and hoping to wrap up the new subwoofer amp kit manual this week and then we will move right on to the Moreplay upgrade manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mucker

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 10:34:40 AM
I like it! Nice clean look. Questions ... does the gain remain the same? Will there be a top plate? Will the 6K6 still work ok? Thx!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 10:37:58 AM by Mucker »