First Project Necessary Tools & Advanced Suggestions

Grainger49 · 72011

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 03:18:42 AM
Here is a hand full of tools I took a picture of.  The pen of the soldering station is being held by the $3 Harbor Freight Third Hand.  

Across the top are solder, diagonal cutting pliers, needle nose pliers & nippers (for clipping leads).

The bottom row is my Fluke meter, Weller soldering station and the third hand.

The second picture is a close up of the third hand.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:32:44 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline james93

Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 01:15:29 AM
Grainger,

Thanks for putting the time in to keep this post updated, and to everyone that added information.

This is my first post, I just joined since I ordered a Crack and Speedball.  I have seen and heard about the Bottlehead products from the speaker world but never purachsed any.  Now getting into the headphone world I decided to give the DIY a try.  It will be my first DIY project and reading thru this site and the Head-Fi site is really helping.

I went to the site that Doc mentions in your first post and I'm going with the items he mentions.  I don't know if I'll be doing to many DIY projects so I'm just getting the basic things.  I did find a good looking third hand with magnifier so I'll pick that up also.

Thanks again everyone,
James

4krow

Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:37 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I use a tool that is non conventional, and I wouldn't trade it for any wire cutter when it comes to trimming wire leads on a pc board. Nail clippers    yup, they are perfect! Just don't tell my wife.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 02:44:32 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I use a tool that is non conventional, and I wouldn't trade it for any wire cutter when it comes to trimming wire leads on a pc board. Nail clippers    yup, they are perfect! Just don't tell my wife.

I do the same thing.  They get dull quicker but I just buy a couple of the 98 cent clippers at wallyworld so I have them.  Toss when too dull.   I've also used them for as long back as I can remember for cutting the extra line when tying fishing knots or making up monofilament leaders.  Never did like using my teeth for that.  They work great for trimming you nails too :-P

Desmond G.

4krow

Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 12:05:01 PM
Cutting nails too? Then it's a no-brainer!
  I know that it has been mentioned here before about the quality of tools and how they might affect your job. But it bears repeating, because I just used a Rat Shack soldering pencil last night on a project and the heat was not steady. After ruining a couple of circuit traces, I switched to a Weller. The difference is the difference between a good job, or instead, a few tears. In this case, tears won. Yah, a certain quality of tool matters.

4krow

Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 10:41:21 AM
I would like to add that one of the best recent purchases is a solder station that I bought from Parts express for $40. It is made by Stahl, has replaceable tips, variable heat(300-650 I think), and the stand is separate from the station. So far, I am kicking myself for not buying something like this years ago! I have drawer full of irons that are so-so, and might just have a yard sale this summer...Also, I got the headset/lens that was recommended here, and again, what was I thinking all those years? Tools, proper ones, make all the difference. That is what I have enjoyed about this site. Lots of experience, and great advice. I'll keep reading. Thanks

Offline Kristel

Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:23 PM
The rest is what you'd expect any joiner to have like saws, mortise gauge etc. As for wood work experience, I have hand cut mortise and tenons with great success, finger joints, half flaps and even dovetails although not perfect are almost there!

Offline markc2

Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:10 PM
Hello all,

I don't have a soldering "pen" I was wondering what ones people use and what ones they feel seem to do the best job and why that is. I would like to do this as close to once as possible.  ;D

Thanks

Mark

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 06:43:55 PM
See Greg's post above. This or a similar station would be a good step up from a simple pencil iron.

I just took a quick look at what is available. Half decent looking ones for as little as $15. Very good ones for $40 or $50 or so.

It is much easier to solder, with an iron that has even rudimentary temp control. Especially if you're learning...John

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:41 AM
Kristel

There are a number of threads on suggested soldering irons/stations in this folder.  Jump to the Tech Tools folder and search for "soldering iron."  It will search in only the Tech Tools folder. 

Offline akatsuki

Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:41 AM
I have a soldering station already, but was trying to put together a list of everything.

Any suggestions, or does this list cover the items I need? http://www.amazon.com/lm/RR8MBV04TA0G/ (hopefully this is helpful for others as well who just want to one-stop shop)

Offline BNAL

Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 07:27:33 AM

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 07:45:44 AM
Yeah, but be careful with the magnifying visor around women. Makes them wild.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jaggy

Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:30 AM
I have a soldering station already, but was trying to put together a list of everything.

Any suggestions, or does this list cover the items I need? http://www.amazon.com/lm/RR8MBV04TA0G/ [nofollow] (hopefully this is helpful for others as well who just want to one-stop shop)

+1 to BNAL's recommendation for that daylight magnifier, even when I'm not using the magnification I use it as a spotlight on my worktable.

For pliers and cutters, I prefer the smaller xcelite ones to those you listed.  I get by with these:
175D [nofollow] - cutters
378D [nofollow] - pliers
NN7776V [nofollow] - needle nose pliers

Offline dw

Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:55 PM
My favorites (may be expensive)

Fluke 87 V multimeter (with extra probes)
PanaVise 350 + 308 base
Hakko 936 soldering iron
Cardas quad eutectic solder

The meter is reliable and repeatable. I assume accurate as well.
The vise is great for circuit board holding while soldering.
The soldering station just works well.
I know the solder is controversial, and expensive, but I like it.

-dw