First Project Necessary Tools & Advanced Suggestions

Grainger49 · 71906

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 07:49:58 AM
I working up the courage and gathering the tools to build a crack w/sb. One question: what about an anti-static mat and/or wrist strap? needed?

Nope.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline catfishstevens

Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:33 PM
I recently found an actual really good solder sucker while looking for some JIS screwdrivers!  I've always wondered why they more or less follow the same (poor) design wherever I've looked.  Of course no solder sucker is going to outperform a desoldering gun or other specialty tool, but like solder wick they're comparatively really easy and quick when they do work. 

Especially this one:
 http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432194018&sr=8-1-spell

I wish I'd had it when I was learning and screwed up a lot more often.  Sure it's a little more expensive than your typical practically expendable solder sucker but absolutely worth it so far.  Not only does it come with a far more heat resistant tip, but it's replaceable and enough for 5 or is included with it.

Offline Chris65

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
Thanks for pointing out that solder sucker, looks really good & I need a decent one.

Offline rif

Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 11:10:17 AM
I know I'm late to the party but I just found this to be really handy ...

A small tablet or smart phone with front and rear cameras.

I just shove it into places I can't readily see and take a picture.  Even used some editing software to enhance detail...

-david

Offline Grainger49

Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 11:48:53 AM
That is a good idea.  I have neither but see the logic.  I added it to advanced suggestions in the OP.

Offline jonjon

Reply #65 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:13 AM
Hi there. I'd like to get an opinion on the below soldering station and whether it would of high enough quality for a first-timer. I wanted to get the Hakko FX888D but in New Zealand it's well over $300NZ... pretty hard to justify.

Thanks heaps.

/www. jaycar .co.nz/48w-temperature-controlled-soldering-station/p/TS1564

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:18 AM
That looks like a good choice. They list a few replacement tips, I'd grab one of each when you buy the station.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jonjon

Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:32 AM
Thanks PB, appreciate the quick response!

Offline Chris65

Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:30 AM
Hi there. I'd like to get an opinion on the below soldering station and whether it would of high enough quality for a first-timer. I wanted to get the Hakko FX888D but in New Zealand it's well over $300NZ... pretty hard to justify.

Cheapest price for the FX-888D I've found $238+GST @Synergy Electronics. I bought one a few years ago & not regretted the investment (but I do a lot of projects :D).
Had a generic station for a while, but the Hakko is so much better.

Offline PS2500

Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 04:35:30 PM
I haven't seen any mention of nippers with a lead catcher, but after a few years of using the conventional kind, and then getting a pair of these, I find them indispensable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tsunoda-TH-125NC-Cutting-Pliers-Catcher/dp/B073V2X71S/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=tsunoda+nipper&qid=1556936763&s=gateway&sr=8-14

They hold onto the cut part of the lead, cable tie, or solder, even down to 0.1 mm wire. I'd recommend them to any first time builder - I wish I'd had them when I built my first kit. I don't know what the pros think of them. If there's a downside, it's inseparable from the purpose of the tool itself: you have to shake or push the cut part loose from the nippers before cutting the next piece. Simply opening the jaws isn't enough. But that's a more than acceptable tradeoff for not having to hold a hand over the piece you're cutting to prevent it flying off. You can even ditch the safety glasses while using them.