Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 238691

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #375 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
I like the new cables, that's a clean look!

Thanks, Paul!  Couldn't have engineered such a great solution for this without your help and advice.

Offline manis

Reply #376 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:23 AM
Here's a bit of eye candy.

That is some nice set up you got there, Thomas, well done! I can't wait till I receive my Orcas. Soon leaving Seattle hopefully and then over the ocean and the Mediterranean to yours truly :)

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #377 on: April 01, 2013, 06:11:40 PM
El,

Thanks a million for your patience.  Judging by Demsy's and Tamin's (back in Nov) longer than expected transit time (via Priority International USPS to Indonesia) I hope it won't be too long for you to wait considering that they are going to Malta....but I can promise you that they are certainly worth the wait! 

We should start an "Island Dweller's Blumenstein Audio Owners Association"  IDBAOA.  We've got the Vashon, Bainbridge, and Vancouver Island branches going full swing in this little corner of the country!  Would you believe we sent a set to Tasmainia a few months ago?  Something about Island Time must gravitate people to the more relaxed and calm sound of the Orca...

As you can see, I've got them predrilled in case you'd ever like to add stands to the mix (like you'd asked).  (don't worry, the drill holes don't poke through the cabinet wall)

...and they, along with alot of wires, a pair of Orcas on stands, and the first few Orca/Sub Fullranger systems are going in the mail tomorrow, to be followed by several more large Orca systems by the end of the week. 

Cheers,

Clark

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #378 on: April 02, 2013, 04:47:08 AM
Just got back from a week long trip and boy did the orcas sound so good when i got back. So smooth, soothing to the ears.
I swapped out some Modwright teflon coupling caps for some broken in vcap teflons in my 6FM/Y7 amp. More life, more high frequency extension and detail. 

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Demsy

Reply #379 on: April 02, 2013, 05:53:52 PM
Thanks a million for your patience.  Judging by Demsy's and Tamin's (back in Nov) longer than expected transit time (via Priority International USPS to Indonesia) I hope it won't be too long for you to wait considering that they are going to Malta....but I can promise you that they are certainly worth the wait! 

Actually the shipping time to Indonesia wasn't bad at all, it took less than two weeks for the package to be delivered at my home. The package left on 03/07/2013, arrived at my freight forwarder in Singapore on 03/14/2013 and was delivered to me on 03/20/2013. It was shipped from the US to Singapore using USPS Priority and from Singapore to Jakarta by air freight.

I placed my order on late December 2012, so it took less than 4 months before delivery. But surely worth the wait. I have now around 80 hours on them, and I can say for sure, that there is no need to wait until 400 hours to really enjoy the Orcas. You know from the first hours that you're listening to a very musical pair of speakers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:57:53 PM by Demsy »

Offline tsingle999

Reply #380 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:22 AM
Just got a used pair of Orcas serial #350. My old ones had the black plastic panel on the back. The new ones definitely have more bass weight. A good upgrade! Off to Ball and Buck tonight to check out the BlumenBottle pieces:)

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #381 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:03 PM
Something must be in the air -- today I went down to my office, thought I heard something a bit different, turned up the volume a bit (the Orcas are running 24/7 with the sr-45s) and whoa! what happened?  Not sure, but it is good... very, very good!  I'm at about 200 hours now, still running without subs, and today, aside from even smoother, more coherent sound and soundstage (incredible already) the bass had some real wieght to it.

Ok, that's it, tomorrow the v-cap CuTFs go in the SR-45s.  I had planned on putting the Nagas back in that system today, but between the sound from the Orcas making such a quantum jump and my back/sciatic nerve not fully healed from last week's injury, I just decided to leave well enough alone.

Of course the BH custom preamp is also coming along nicely as well and taken as a whole, this system is already bordering on magnificient -- still sourced by a low cost Virtue CDP at this point too.  I'm hoping for vinyl this weekend...

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tsingle999

Reply #382 on: April 03, 2013, 02:56:37 PM
Nice Jim! Sounds like you will have an amazing system! I saw the Orca subs live for the first time  at ball and buck today. Very compact! Much smaller than i realized. Unfortunately they didn't have the subs hooked up. Everything looked really cool thought between the new style bh top plates to the blumenstein bases...

Offline BNAL

Reply #383 on: April 05, 2013, 08:40:43 AM
I'm liking the look of the site. Just that there is no link to the products page.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:50:56 AM by BNAL »

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #384 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:00 AM
Brad, we'll be tidying up the website/stitching things up over the weekend.  Feel free to call us with any questions in the mean time. 

Best,

Molly

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline BNAL

Reply #385 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:08 AM
Molly,

The search function works great and got me to the information that I was looking for.

Thanks

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline manis

Reply #386 on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:51 AM
El,

We should start an "Island Dweller's Blumenstein Audio Owners Association"  IDBAOA.  We've got the Vashon, Bainbridge, and Vancouver Island branches going full swing in this little corner of the country!  Would you believe we sent a set to Tasmainia a few months ago?  Something about Island Time must gravitate people to the more relaxed and calm sound of the Orca...

As you can see, I've got them predrilled in case you'd ever like to add stands to the mix (like you'd asked).  (don't worry, the drill holes don't poke through the cabinet wall)

Thanks for the update and the photos, Clark. I also owe thanks to Molly for her dedicated assistance.

It was a delight to see that Facebook post with my Orcas showing in their full glory!
And yes, I'd be happy to join the IDBAOA ;)

My <$2000 set up will be nearing completion and, needless to say, I'm anxious to hear what it can do... When I receive my Orcas, I'll be sure to post some pictures and impressions here!  (Checking the USPS tracking site has become somewhat of an addiction as of late. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:05:33 AM by manis »

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline saildoctor

Reply #387 on: April 07, 2013, 09:50:48 AM
I picked up my finished pair of subs yesterday and put them in my system! (powered with 2x 250w dayton amps)

Also, i changed the input resistance on my seduction because something just wasn't sounding right - some mid notes just sounded super quiet with the Orcas.  I put it to 1kohms - using my Dynavector 20x2H i had been using 2.2k. Dyna just specs >1k on their website and poking around online it looks like a lot of people use the min and that sounds good to them.  Here's the thing - the balance of sound coming from my old speakers with fe207 drivers sounded ok.  I guess having too high a value was taming some of it's midrange shout!  The Orcas now sound super balanced fed from the turntable now.

Been listening to the new setup and just wanted to say - hell yes!  :) 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:12:58 AM by saildoctor »

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Grainger49

Reply #388 on: April 07, 2013, 11:08:03 AM
Kerry,

How many hours do you have on the Orcas?  I broke mine in for 400 hours using a SS amp and playing them louder than I would listen.  Well, I did listen whenever I wanted, but the rest of the time they were on "break in."

I think it will make a difference.

Enjoy the music!

Offline saildoctor

Reply #389 on: April 07, 2013, 06:54:11 PM
I've probably only got a little more than 100 hours so far with my pair.  Still have a long way to go... I don't really have a place to set them up and run.  Gotta do it the old fashioned way!

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x