Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 241684

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #390 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:18 AM
I've not kept accurate track of my hours logged on the Orca's but I expect it's around 200 hours time so far.  Can't say I notice any huge changes but it still sounds thoroughly great.  Once I get new Y cables and re-tune the sub I'll have a more accurate picture of how things sound.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #391 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:02 AM
There are metal "Y-adapters" which are really good.  I have a pair of Monster.  You can find them at places like Audio Adviser and Music Direct.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #392 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:55 AM
It's kind of like fine wine (I'm a wine DIYer too). In my youth I wasted a lot of energy trying to find out exactly how aged I liked my wine, and then trying to drink it when it was just right. Now, I have come to terms with wine - and speakers - as living things, with admirable but different qualities at various stages of their journey.

I'm not so generous with capacitors, which IMHO must be beaten into submission before they are fit for civilized company.

Paul Joppa

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #393 on: April 17, 2013, 03:36:18 PM
Got the new cables connected and it's easy to tell the Orca's are working in true full range.  They are more open sounding and detailed in the upper treble.  I'll need to revisit the sub controls to get it dialed in.  Thanks Clark and Molly for all your efforts!

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #394 on: April 19, 2013, 06:03:47 PM
I am loving my orcas more and more. They just seem to ger better every day.
Questions: can i use a sex amp base for a paramour 2? What is the difference between the bases that are all 8x10?
Have you tried enabling the drivers?
Thanks for such great speakers! Taran

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #395 on: April 20, 2013, 04:10:36 AM
Hi Teran,

Bottlehead or Blumenstein bases both are universal for a given plate size.  I've got a foreplay, eros, and s.e.x. 2.1 top plate each in blumenstein bases.

I did speak to Clark about the Enabling some time back and his conclusion was that the enabling was a good thing for the FE-126 drivers, but the fe-83en in the Orcas is best left as is..

I have to say that I find it really interesting how many people with such varied systems and listening preferences just find the Orcas to be so wonderful and musical.  Of course there is no such thing as a speaker that is right for everybody in every situation, but still, the appeal of the Orcas just seems to be a lot broader than probably any other speaker I've ever encountered.

Some day I'd like to hear them with a really good Class A SS amp like one of the Firstwatts, as well.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #396 on: April 23, 2013, 03:11:43 PM
If there are any lingerers who have been waiting to pull the trigger, we have items in stock and on sale right now, all in caramelized bamboo:

Orcas on Floor Stands
Orca Subwoofer
Subwoofer Amplifier
S.E.X. base

http://blumensteinaudio.com/sale-items/

We had the chance to update the website/online shop over the last couple of weeks and uploaded photos of the new Floor Stands, which now have 1" thick bamboo bases with feet, and a groove cut into the back of the stand column, 1/4" thick, that allows you to run your speaker cable down it and then through a hole cut into the base.

Also, an update on the bottom clear acrylic plates for amp bases: We have some samples headed our way and I'll send out an email to everyone who expressed interest with photos and costs.

Thanks!

Molly

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline manis

Reply #397 on: April 24, 2013, 06:10:08 AM
Just received my Orcas. Stunning!

The cables I ordered with them were not included, unfortunately, but that will be resolved without hassle. Thanks, Molly. I managed to find some crappy wire I had lying around.

A total noob question to anyone who might know this. I'm playing some Eva Cassidy - Wayfaring Stranger straight out of the box and the bass sounds a bit boomy. Is that because everything has to settle in? Or maybe it's the wire?

Another noob question, I have not touched the impedance switches on the SEX 2.1 impendance switch board at all. What is the best setting for the Orcas?

Thanks guys!

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #398 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:40 AM
Manis,

Yes, just give the orcas some time -- things will get audibly better every soo often and the bass will really start to gel about 30-50 hours.

Try the s.e.x. at 8 and 4 ohms and see what you prefer.

HTH,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #399 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:39 AM
Right on, Jim.

Those are the exact time frames ive been observing.  30-50 hrs to get pretty close to the final character, and then after around 400 to acheive the full glory of their disappearing act/ profundity of their bass (which is the precise "WTF" behind why they are called "Orcas").

They can go through some pretty funny phases sonically until the ~40 hr mark.  They can swing between sounding a bit muffled to boomy to bright and then back again before they settle down and start to really warm up at 40 hrs.  We put anywhere between just a few all the way up to tens of hours on them in the shop before they get packed.  So depending upon where they were by the time we ship them (and how many extremes of weather/altitude systems they travelled through otw to you), you can bet that they -will- have some settling in to do once you've hooked them up to voltage.

One more note is that they do need a good thrashing some time after 50 hrs to get fully loosened up in the bass register as well.  Those little 3"ers have a surprising excursion before they bottom out (at which point, you should back off slightly from the volume knob out of courtesey to the cone.  A little bit of (calculated) bottoming out here and there won't destroy the cones.

I've been really happy these last several months especially with the Orca Pod floorstanders going out with the new Y cables and 250 watt sub amps.  I'm hoping to film a little instructional video here soon about how to get this system properly set up and dialed in, as they are a really versatile compact high end speakers thats sounds way bigger and more coherent than they have any right to.  This initiative will have to wait though until i'm not distracted by all the finishing touches to the systems we've got shipping out this week.

Cant wait to start playing with the line array Orca pod in the prototyping lab here soon though...

Jim, indeed we too have been surprised (and encouraged) greatly by the wide appeal of the mighty Orcas.  We've got people from age 7-90, on all 7 continents, male and female, people who are permanently wheel chair bound and professional cyclists who race against Lance Armstrong, cancer patients and survivors, the blind and the nearly deaf, of all walks of life - janitors and CEOs, serious audiophiles, heavy metal bassists, hipsters and rednecks and hippies and creationists and scientists and - wheew!  You name it.

Jim - one more thing i just noticed is that you managed to walk your way through our new online checkout system for the old Sex base we had listed in our b-stock page which is encouraging to me about our website's accessibility - always open to suggestions on that front because we've started trying to encourage folks with disabilities (and military) with a 10% discount, which should hopefully take the edge off for the folks who really need to heal themselves with music. 

Thinking about the future, I cant wait to see who I get to meet over the next several hundred pair, but I'm sure that none of them will be quite as awesome, supportive, friendly, patient, and good-advice-giving as our community of To-The-Core Bottlehead builders who've been a major aspect of our clientelle this past year especially.

Peace,

Clark

P.s.  I did hear a first watt F5 recently through the Orcas and i brought by my Stereomour for comparison.  The F5 sounded fantastic - some of the best balanced out solid state ive heard through the Orcas and ive definitely heard my fair share.  The Stereomour had the edge (for everyone in the room) on that ever elusive aspect called "musicality," yet the F5 had as you'd expect, some of the "physical" benefits of solid state in that it did get louder and cleaner, but it was necessary to get to such loud levels to get to that benefit and i myself am just not that kind of listener anymore, though i do respect the needs of those who prefer such a sound via the way I've engineered the Orcas to have an ability to "chameleon" their way around the sound of a variety of amps and usually have something mildly optimistic" to say about the music itself at the very least.  Like the way my own mind works i guess (?)  I don't think I could ever be a proper audio reviewer ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:47:13 AM by Clark B. »

Offline manis

Reply #400 on: April 25, 2013, 12:02:17 PM
Clark,

You will probably be glad to hear The Modern Lovers sound pretty darn good after just 14 hours of break-in on Orca pair #425 over here in Malta. :)

Well he was only 5'3"
But girls could not resist his stare
Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole
Not in New York

The island never sounded this good...

> Macbook Air 13" late 2011
> Audirvana+ 1.4.6
> Supra USB 2.0 cable
> Jkenny Ciunas DAC 32/192
> Vermouth Audio Red Velvet ic
> Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1 (w/ C4S & imp.sw);
   Belden 19364 mains (w/ cryo Wattgate 320i IEC)
> Blue Jeans Cable 10 white (Belden)
> Blumenstein Orcas

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #401 on: April 25, 2013, 12:12:03 PM
Dude, we love The Modern Lovers!  Roadrunner!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #402 on: April 25, 2013, 01:17:20 PM
Abominable Snowman.

Jonathan Sings.

-- Jim

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #403 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:43 PM
Hi Teran,

Bottlehead or Blumenstein bases both are universal for a given plate size.  I've got a foreplay, eros, and s.e.x. 2.1 top plate each in blumenstein bases.

Actually, Jim, we do a different orientation for the SEX/eros/foreplay/reduction 8*10 and the paramour/paramount 8*10 - the screws are placed on the "sides" when the tubes are towards  the front.  So in the case of the paramour bases, the front is the long end, so the screws go into the short ends.

I'll toss up a photo here when I get a chance

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #404 on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:42 PM
Hi Molly,

Oh, that's interesting -- didn't know that.  I guess it's a matter of whether you'd rather see the screw holes or the little squares from the saw kerfs.  I myself think I like the look of some walnut rounded top wood plugs in the screw holes., but it's great that you let people choose.  Maybe describe the difference styles by where the screwo holes are?

BTW, it looks like a 5/16" plug fits nicely.

-- Jim