Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 247111

Offline Mordicai

Reply #630 on: January 28, 2015, 03:32:31 PM
Two days left on the Stereomour and the shipping e-mail from Clark just arrived. Pretty exciting! Life is good.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #631 on: February 02, 2015, 04:55:45 PM
Using some Belden 5000UE from the Stereomour, but uncertain what to use for the subwoofer to the speakers. Anyone have a suggestion. Probably Ill just order some more 5000UE

Offline Grainger49

Reply #632 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:18 PM
I had believed that I received a wire with my Dungeness subs.  If that was not the case, I grabbed a small gauge wire and ran them from the Orcas to the Dungeness speaker level inputs.

The wire will carry no current, maybe a pA of current.  So the gauge is not a consideration.  The inputs of the plate amp are high impedance and are for voltage sensing alone.  Much like the inputs of an Op-Amp.

I really would be surprised if there was a sonic difference between #26 AWG and #12 AWG wire.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #633 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:58 AM
Thanks Grainger, that was my feeling since in the Dungeness photo's it looks like Clark is just using zip cord. I also thought that wire came with the speaker.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #634 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:48 AM
I've been listening to alot of vinyl since getting a turntable again.  The Orcas do a great job conveying the tonal richness captured on the spinning black disks.  Digital is still preferable for its simplicity, fidelity, and clean playback.  However, the ritual of vinyl playback is still very compelling and pleasurable.

Aside from the Orcas I'm thinking some larger and more efficient speakers would work well in vinyl playback.  Hearing a record playing through a classic speaker design and tube amp seems more authentic to me.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #635 on: February 11, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Tom, our current favorite system is birch Orca Mini's, Floor Stands, and a pair of Dungeness Max subs.  The source and amp is a Denon DL103r on a 16" Pete Riggle woody tonearm going into Paramount 300B's.  Its a really well balanced system and sound. We are thinking of putting up a combo system special for this set of speakers to encourage more people to try it out. 

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #636 on: February 11, 2015, 01:21:16 PM
Reposting this information from another thread about the proper hookup of our Dungeness or Dungeness Max subwoofers:

For speaker wire hookup, the lengths of speaker wire used for the subwoofer amplifier's inputs is simply doubled up (biwired) at either the binding posts of the fullrange speaker or alternatively at the binding posts of your stereo amplifier.  Either place does not affect the sound quality.  As well, it can be an assymetric hookup location in this respect without affecting sound quality, which is convenient as well. 

The quality of this speaker wire is essentially inaudible as well, which is also convinient because the quality of the typically long length of RCA cable for the inputs would be audible.  I recommend cheap high gauge wire that comes on a roll.  This set of speaker wires only goes into the "from amplifier" section of inputs of the subwoofer amp, (and does not come back out of the "to speaker" outputs, which keeps those nasty electrolytic caps from being engaged).  Its a pure and simple method of hookup, and only bleeds a tiny amount of signal from a Power Amp, rather than drawing 50% of the output of a Pre Amp.

RCA hookups can have some sonic advantages in certain cases, however, and in the case of Bottlehead products, RCA subwoofer inputs work very well!  So in general, I feel that speaker level vs. RCA hookups for a subwoofer will all depend on the makeup of the rest of your system.  While speaker wire inputs are universally compatible for prettymuch any power amplifer, some Bottlehead Pre-amps have a provision for dual RCA outputs ((one set to the stereo power amp, one set to the subwoofer(s). And they sound great hooked up that way with my speakers/subs!  I like to match lengths (a less practical recommendation) and types/brands (a more practical recommendation) for the quad of RCA cables coming from the back of the pre amp.

Hope those explainations and tips help!

Best,

Clark

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #637 on: February 11, 2015, 04:11:53 PM
Thanks for the input Clark!  I just installed my new AT120E cart on my audio technica LP120 turntable. Really clean and detailed playback, on my newer LP discs I can't hear the noise floor even at -20DB. 

Do you think the benefits of the new driver in the Orca Mini, or is it more of the Dungeness Max that is making the most impact on the sound of that setup?

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #638 on: February 11, 2015, 06:32:50 PM
Tom, The way it is with alot of our designs is that what produces the resultant sound is less from the driver, and more about the cabinet. 

That said, the Orca Mini driver considered nude is better extended up top, and is rated to handle more power as well.  The way we use it, however, it actually benefits from the small, thin walled cabinet because of our "high tech" solid wood internal bracing, and it took us a long time, and many iterations to figure this out.  The impulse response and frequency response is phenomenal.  The Dungeness Max subs are also bigger, and go lower and are more powerful than the Dungeness Classic/Deluxe subs... but this is for a more nuanced reason than you might think.  We still feel that the Dungeness Classic sub is actually the right sub for the Orca Classics.  And so too, the Orca Mini's go best with the Dungeness Max, and don't really work very well with the smaller Dungeness Classic.

The "sound" of the Dungeness Max (if a subwoofer can be thought of as having a characteristic sound) is most importantly in keeping with the overall sound making aesthetic of the Mini- which is more geared towards extension, neutrality and flatness, and still remains a manageable size. 

On the other hand, I still think of the Orca Classics as our "classic" sound.  I don't want to go out on a limb and say that it was inspired from "classic" audio, but as a music historian and audio history nut, the Classic's design, which evolved for 8 years of uninterrupted production and refinement couldn't help but have been inspired by all the amazing old and new gear that I've heard over the years.  And you can see the influences of classic audio in the materials - All paper cones including the subwoofer versus the Orca Mini/Max's use of aluminum in the fullranger's dust cap and subwoofer's cone for assistance in reproducing transients from the same driver diameters - 3" and 6.5".   

We have thought long and hard about the way that the Orca Classics' sound ought to make someone feel.  But of course, people who do not prioritize "feelings," in the way they experience their music might dismiss this approach as hooey.  But most people immediately respond to the sound aesthetic of the Classics when they first hear them in person.  They are smooth and seductive.  Never a bad thing :)

The Orca Minis/Max are meant for a more performance oriented reproduction but still with the character of a single driver.  And still with the all wood, undamped, no BS cabinetry and so they still retain alot of our "classic" signature sound.  We sought out to innovate with the woodwork of the Mini's and Maxes.  And we did!

The only downside is that the powerhandling/efficiency of the Mini is more geared towards a minimum of 4 watts rather than the 2 watts needed for the Classics.  However, we have heard of people successfully hooking up their classics to 50 watts and more, and also their Minis down to 2 watts (or up to and beyond 50 as well).  Satisfaction from amplifying our speakers seems to come from an individual's taste and implimentation.  Just like everything else in the world.  So - no real surprise there.

The Paramount 300B's at 8 watts provide the right balance between dynamic playback and delicacy for me and my system.  I like to play the Mini's and Maxes pretty loud and for extended times, actually.  They do not fatigue the listener when pushed.

The Mini's are a physically smaller speaker than the Classics, but they behave like a larger speaker in practical utility. 

You can think of the powerhandling of our lineup like this:

AND THIS IS JUST A BASIC RULE OF THUMB:

Classics: Minimum ~2 watts
Mini's: Minimum ~4 watts
Mako's: Minimum ~8 watts
Thrashers: Minimum ~16 watts

So the Mini's/Maxes are actually the "mid sized speaker" in our lineup, in terms of behavior, though they are the physically smallest speaker we make. 

I hope that information helps!

-Clark

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #639 on: February 12, 2015, 02:54:48 PM
Thanks for elaborating on the differences.  It would be fun swapping some Orca Minis into my system to hear how they compare in 2-channel playback with my sources and amps.

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #640 on: May 27, 2015, 01:25:39 PM
Hi All,

I've been away from the forums here for too long, but have been meaning to post an endorsement of Clark and his team. I ordered a b-stock set of the mini/max 2.1 system from Blumenstein over New Years 14/15. I've had them for months and have yet to find any defect that would qualify them as b-stock in my eyes - it's a testament to the amount of care and quality that are but into these products. Clark was extraordinary helpful throughout the process, and was even good humored about my over anxious requests for status updates.

Finally, the sound. I have a number of friends that run pretty nice home systems (both new and vintage gear) primarily for vinyl enjoyment - they are all drooling over what's happening to sound in my living room (even though my system still has some (glaring) holes in it). They fill up my main listening area (20'x30') effortlessly with warm, but precise sound. With a good bourbon and closed eyes, I can find myself propped right in front of the stage totally immersed.

So a big thanks to Clark - best wishes for continued success! Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve next.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Adrian

Reply #641 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:21 AM
Blumenstein Break-in?

I should receive my 2.2 Mini/Max system this week and I don't remember reading anything about speaker break-in for these or other Blumenstein speakers.

Any information from you bottleheaders out there or maybe some info from Clark on what to expect for changes to the speakers during any break-in period?

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #642 on: June 28, 2015, 08:22:23 AM
There used to be something on their site about break in.  It was like 200 or 300 hours.  And somewhere in these 43 pages I described my method. 

The short description is on page 17, response 249.  It doesn't mention that I put several blankets or quilts on top of them, they were on their side and playing louder than I would normally listen.

I broke them in for over 400 hours.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:36:42 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Adrian

Reply #643 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46:46 PM
Thanks, Grainger.
I should have done some simple research and would have discovered the obvious.  Sometimes I feel I have a life outside the internet and get lazy and just ask.  I appreciate your response.

I have put about 50 - 70 hours on my recently purchased mini-max 2.2 system.  I'm driving them with my new Paramounts from a sumbissive, using a Cambridge Audio CD player or the EROS for vinyl via an Ortofon OM40 (4mv).  I also drive these with an S.E.X. 2.1 with great sound.

By now these speakers are sounding very good.   I have been using headphones for a long time and still use my dual pair of 1970s Bose 901s.  Most people FLAME the 901s but they are very good at fillling up any space with clean, clear music.  But without the proper room they should probably be saved for background music.  The imaging I have rediscoverd with these new speakers is capturing me and keeping me up later than I should at night.  The spouse thought I was crazy at first (they were quite harsh at start) but commented last night that she was hearing more of the music.  I'll take that as the compliment it was meant to be.

Thanks Clark and the gang for the great job and fine product.  I'll post some pictures later and update the break-in progress.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #644 on: July 08, 2015, 12:38:29 AM
Here is the key, I wired one speaker in phase and the other out of phase.  That is, reversed + and - on one speaker.  Then faced them to each other.  This limits the sound coming out, making it more comfortable for anyone within ear shot.