Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 247106

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #645 on: July 08, 2015, 05:31:36 AM
IMO the Fix will deal with the small bit of shout that remains after break in. I had a Fix on the Orca mains in my HT, but not on the center speaker. We noticed that the dialogue seemed a little shouty in comparison to the music. One channel of a second Fix was put in line with the center channel and the dialogue is now more natural.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #646 on: July 08, 2015, 02:47:36 PM
Doc B.
After running the 2.2 mini/max for two long days over the weekend the initial harshness (shout?) has disappeared and these are really coming into their own.  Since the unboxing they have improved +100%.
I will be running these through their paces with a wide variety of music to sample their response.
I don't think I will need The Fix but it's good to know you have a product just for the rude, shouting speaker.
Besides, I have run out of space (for now): 

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Chris

Reply #647 on: July 08, 2015, 05:13:52 PM
Completely off topic, but arent those 901s ALL series 1?... I thought the series 2 had a white cloth completely wrapped around the middle part and the 1s were with wood like you have.. anyway, nice set you have... :)

Offline Adrian

Reply #648 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:15 PM
No.
The original Series was not marked Series 1 because it was the first one and they weren't looking at putting out another "series".  The Series 2 came out shortly afterwards with very minor changes (marketing strategy?).
Bose  offered a choice of cabinets at the time and I chose the Walnut Facing cabinet when I bought the first pair and then was able to match the cabinet style with the Series 2 a couple of years later.  They stopped offering the Walnut Facing cabinet in a later series, I don't know which one.
The Series 1 and 2 had nearly identical graphic equalizers and either one can be used to drive both Series.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:27:57 PM by Adrian »

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #649 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:23 PM
You might be able to drive the stacked 901s off of the Paramounts if you set them to 4 Ohms and don't use the equalizers. 

They will have a lot of midrange.  Bwa, Ha, Ha, Ha ! ! !

Offline Adrian

Reply #650 on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:50 AM
Grainger
They are wired for 4 ohms now and I've run them off the S.E.X. 2.1 prior to finishing the Paramounts.
They are not very sensitive speakers and they max-out the S.E.X 2W/ch.
They are thin without the equalizer.  After over 3 decades of listening to the 901s with their equalizer I can tell in an instant when it is not connected.  The equalizer is a must with these.

Mid-Range:  Isn't that where we live, in the mid-range?
BTW, the effective surface area of the nine 4.5 " drivers is about the same as a 13" woofer.  The bass is smooth and articulate (same for the treble) due to the 4.5" driver's relative quick response.
However, your evil laughter is appropriate and this would not satisfy a Bass Head nor imaging junkie.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:41:25 PM by Adrian »

Adrian C.

Offline Chris

Reply #651 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:51 AM
Ok thank you.. i understand now.. didnt know bose offered a choice of cloth or walnut in the series 1 and 2...  the series 3 was where they changed the original look and both the 3 and 4 can be used with either equalizer as well.. the main difference was the power handling of the 4 where they started to claim the "unlimited power under non commercial applications" moniker...  interesting..  again, thank you for the clarity....  and yes absolutely!!.. my 4s back in the day, would sound like a tin can with the equalizer off... quite a shocking difference when the equalizer is engaged again... had DANG fun times with those in the day.... (1980s).. ok  sorry , back on topic again.....

Offline patm

Reply #652 on: July 11, 2015, 04:21:05 AM
I have about 45 hours on my min/max 2.2. The shouteyness (is that a word?), is getting to be much less prevalent and the bass is really coming along nicely as the surrounds loosen up.
The last 2 months have been a tremendous change in my system. The addition of an analog source has made more difference (positive), than anything else I have done. Then the Elrog 300b tubes are simply marvelious. I have read that the Reduction has a narrow sound stage and that's what I hear.
Does the Eros have a wider sound stage?

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1161.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq517%2FPatmcsween%2F655b508449a0e8074749fef9b4d0cd38.jpg&hash=6a124acb61fb5cfac1c9b06d17b437b42993e86d)

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #653 on: July 15, 2015, 07:55:24 AM
Awesome to see everyone's adventures with their speakers.  As a quick note, please know that we are always around for setup advice.  Photos help.  for instance - Pat, I bet that if you toe those Orcas in a little bit more and pull them 4 more inches out into the room you will hear the soundstage improve a little bit.  I also have the Eros and Seduction but not the Reduction.  I know that the Reduction is based on the Seduction, so I can't comment on the Reduction but I can tell you that the Eros was a substantial improvement over the Seduction. So great to see you enjoying Analog :)  I like it all of course...

Big news!

We just relaunched the Bottlehead Bases on the website.  You can find them in our online store under "Accessories." 

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/amplifierbases/

We have substantially upgraded the design and only slightly raised the pricing on them.  New *standard* features include 3/4 inch construction, upgraded vibration damping feet, and better ventilation via custom drilled wooden bottom plates.  As our product design process tends to go, we are very customer driven.  These were all custom requests that had been ordered at one time or another by various clients, and we decided to put all these upgrades together into a nicer overall standard offering.  We feel that the Bottlehead amps deserve this kind of luxurious treatment. 

Also, to cut down on confusion, It is also a flat rate for each base - So the Beepree is the same cost as the Crack.  I know this seems counterintuitive, but the wood cost to us for a larger or a smaller base is not such a big deal as the labor.  (though the birch vs. bamboo does add up a bit.)  The labor also does not vary significantly between a BeePree and a Crack, so hence the flat rate.  Just specify in the notes field which BH model you are trying to fit, if you are choosing Bamboo, then let us know Natural, Two Tone, or Caramelized, and you are good.  Simple.

We are also entertaining custom base orders in solid woods.  These orders are to be set up through email and the prices will vary quite widely depending upon the wood species.  We built bases for Debra K back in August and really enjoyed the process so we are deciding to offer these solid bases as well.

That's it for now!  We are adding some basic setup advice as well for basic and advanced setups.  The Bottlehead amps will go under the advanced section which is still in the process of being written.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer (or winter if you are one of our clients in the Southern Hemisphere). 

-Clark

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #654 on: July 15, 2015, 09:10:33 AM
New bases look great!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #655 on: July 15, 2015, 03:43:54 PM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace.com%2Fstatic%2F5189ec9ee4b0f73b54ffec99%2F521c3729e4b03dae28cfa1bc%2F533dd98ce4b01b8f6b752004%2F1396562328857%2Fphoto%2B2%2B%252825%2529.JPG%3Fformat%3D300w&hash=5a88dd2bca4e31c2aadd4385f9951a91ddbce86c)
That's a nice looking base!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Chris

Reply #656 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:52 PM
Dang, they sure do...

Offline bobster

Reply #657 on: July 16, 2015, 04:19:50 PM
I have 2 paramours, a seduction, a crack and a foreplay III.  do you have base for these?  if so, what is the cost?  Thanks.

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #658 on: July 16, 2015, 05:43:25 PM
I have 2 paramours, a seduction, a crack and a foreplay III.  do you have base for these?  if so, what is the cost?  Thanks.

Here's the link to the product page:

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/amplifierbases/

Every question you've asked is answered on that page.

You should mention whether you have the original Paramour (6x10) or the newer Paramours (8x10) when ordering.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #659 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:28 PM
Can anyone comment on Orca Mini vs Deluxe (and with/without sub/s) driven by Stereomour II or SEX 2.0?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable